XL H1 and 24F - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 24th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #46
Trustee

DRAT! I will be shooting this movie until the 15th, But if it's later on I'd love to be involved, hmm does anyone have access to a varicam(or the pixelvision...)? And you're right that we should set up a site, or at the very least a special section on dv info/ hdv info.
Old December 26th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #47
Major Player

I think we can get into semantics of 24p or 24f or cf24 etc etc. However, the question remains is that are you getting what you want? I mean how many of us are going to be blowing up to 35mm?? 3% at the most maybe more - okay 5%. So who really cares, most of our work goes on DVD, for for DVD, HDV is good enough. My fx1 does CF25 here inthe UK, although it cuts resolution etc, is not 25p, but i'll tell you what - it's damn good. So canon doesn't do 24p, but i'm happy to hear it does a damn good job of 24f.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #48
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
A test like that deserves it's own website & domain name!
I have a much better idea. Let's make it part of DV Info Net. After all, everybody is already here. Taking this test somewhere else would be a *bad* idea in my opinion. I would have a *very* hard time pointing to some other site. Unless there is some compelling reason *not* to do it here, in which case, let me know so I can fix it. Otherwise I'm more than happy to host the video, the files, whatever. DV Info Net's server space and bandwidth is at your disposal. This site is here for you to use, so why not make the most of it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #49
Major Player

I can't believe this argument is still going on. I can't believe new threads on this subject keep appearing. If you can put it onto an NLE timeline at 24fps, and export it at 24fps, how is it fake 24fps?

We might as well say that if something isn't captured on film it isn't a movie.

It's obviously been proven that this camera isn't using some old school frame mode.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #50
Major Player

Chris, my experiment worked!

i said that in aspiration of you offering a section for it. *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com

p.s.
I'm @ The Grove in the movie theater getting ready to watch King Kong @8pm. lol i'm on dvinfo.net using my i500 cellphone and the BLAZER web browser. my wife is getting pissed.
i'm addicted to dvinfo. *smile*
Old December 26th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #51
Obstreperous Rex

Yeah, you're hooked all right. And that's one way of getting my attention! Enjoy Kong,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #52
Major Player

So, I am now confused, I already allocated $9000 in my budget to buy one XL H1, and now that you decided to do the test, wonder if I should wait or not. If you do it soon enough I will wait, if not I don't think I should.

Shannon, why don't you shoot something with mini35 and post the footage? I really want to see it. Please do so. Because when all of you talk about 24p as something so important for filmlike look, why do you forget about DOF, without it all of 24p is nothing.

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old December 28th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #53
Major Player

Oh, and one more question, it might be stupid but and forgive me, but if I have XL H1 what is the procedure of capturing from tape to my computer, please consider that I have MAC not PC. and I mean to capture 24p, or 24f whatever.

:*) thanks for the answer, if you do so.

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old December 28th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #54
Major Player

Oh, and I have Decklink PRO HD card.

:*)

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old December 28th, 2005, 03:52 AM   #55
Major Player

I can't give you information from first-hand experience, but this is how it should work:

With the Decklink card, you can capture uncompressed 4:2:2 HD via HD SDI directly (while you are shooting) --> Massive amounts of data (~10 GB/min)!!

Footage recorded on tape (HDV) can be captured via HDVxDV, afaik. I don't think FCP is capable of capturing HDV directly from the XL H1 at this point, but I'm not sure. I'm sure Apple will fix this in the near future, though.

Nick Hiltgen and A.J. deLangue (members on the forum here) have hands-on experience with the XL H1 and a Mac workflow. Maybe they can chime in?
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders