To "P" or not to "P" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 23rd, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1
Major Player

To "P" or not to "P"

I had a wake-up call recently that I thought I would share realtive to the 24P issue. Being a longtime film shooter, I, too, like the looks of 24, and like the look of it from this (XL H1) camera.. but...

Last year I made a client documentary about the first 10 years of a new California State University and shot with the Panasonic DVX 100A, letterbox, 24P. I really liked the image from the camera and felt that the 24 fps did feel like film. It has been screened in large (500 seat) theaters and looks terrific, has won several awards - here's the rub...

The film was also aired on west coast PBS affiliates. The 28 minute documentary was prepped for PBS broadcast standards by an affiliate. The engineers didn't like the "judder" on some of the pans (I like swish pans, ala NYPD Blue) and actually cut into them - without consulting me. It ruined the continuity of several scenes. I, personally, didn't think they looked different than the same shots I've made numerous times in super16.

I realize many here have the hopes/asperations/intentions of transferring to film and that is why 24P is appealing. But the fact is that television is a more likely venue... But those guys that spend their lives staring at scopes and production monitors all day are in a position to alter your footage, I think arbitrarily... Steve Rosen
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 11:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Steve,

It has always been my contention to shoot Documentaries in 60i, no?
Also, if you are going to TELEVISION (and you know it)...always shoot 30P. Especially for music videos and TV shows, no?

24p is good for film transfers and direct-to-dvd narrative projects, yes?

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes and no - my original thinking was if I shoot 24 fps in film, and I want video to look more like film, then I would shoot 24P, or F or whatever... I think a lot of people feel that way.. I'm just saying that there are gremlins in the loop...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Also, forgot to mention above, yes I am currently shooting 1080i and to be honest don't miss the 24fps option at all.. The picture from this camera (admittedly, playing back field tapes from the camera using the component out cable directly) on my 42" plasma screen is nothing short of stunning, and that's good enough for me... Hopefull that quality will hold thru the post-production process..

But the last several years have been the transitional period for the DV format and we gotta always try something new to stay ahead, right?
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders