Final Cut Pro with XL H1 problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 29th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Final Cut Pro with XL H1 problem

I have managed to capture some material from my new XL H1 into FCP v5.0.4 using the HDV Apple Intermediate codec, sequence preset 1080i60. FCP controlled the camera just fine and I saw the image play on the computer monitor during capture.

So far so good.

But for some strange reason FCP greys out the availability of a Timeline in the window menu, so I can't create a sequence.

Any bright ideas out there?

Many thanks,

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Have you tried creating a new sequence (HDV setting) and the double clicking on that sequence icon, that should make it appear? Mine greays out if there isn't a sequence available in the browser...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply. If I do that I get a message which says "Codec not found. You may be using a compression type without the corresponding hardware card"

What do you make of that?

Thanks

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Weird, I have never gotten that one before... All I can recommend is to try things, like capturing using different settings... I forget what mine is set at, I'll check (I'm not a computer guy, I just turn 'em on an expect them to work).. Hopefully someone with more tech knowledge will read your post...

Just checked, my Capture Preset is simply "HDV". not the Apple one, try that.

Sequence is HDV 1080i60
Device is HDV Firewire
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #5
Major Player

I'll give you another weird one that could burn someone someday.

I did some test shots last night with HDV but then stopped the camera, switched to DV and recorded again, stopped and switched back to HDV and recorded more.

In FCP's HDV capture, it just totally skipped the DV footage. It was smart enough to know the format was different and just leave it out. Kinda' cool...kinda' scary. So, if you ever shoot both, make sure you capture ALL clips, HDV in the HDV capture, DV in the normal capture window.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders