Canon XL H1 Playback on Sony camera/decks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 30th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XL H1 Playback on Sony camera/decks

Will the footage gathered with the Canon XL H1 playback efficiently on the Sony Camera and decks since the format is 1080i? If so that solves the deck issues?
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #2
Major Player

It will play back 1080i fine. That was never the issue. The problem is when you shoot 24F or 30F. No deck supports this as of today, but I HOPE and expect that to change soon. Oh, FCP doesn't support it either YET. All of this will shake out quickly, though, in my opinion. Canon can't be that dumb...umm...right, Canon? Uh...Canon? :-)

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
It will play back 1080i fine. That was never the issue. The problem is when you shoot 24F or 30F. No deck supports this as of today, but I HOPE and expect that to change soon. Oh, FCP doesn't support it either YET. All of this will shake out quickly, though, in my opinion. Canon can't be that dumb...umm...right, Canon? Uh...Canon? :-)

Kevin
I heard that Apple is coming with an update so that you can cut 24f and 30f...

Can't remember where and when I read this... but someone suggested that the Canon was just an upgraded Z1 using the same chips etc...

So if this was true... could not Canon make another deal with Sony and use the Sony deck up an upgrade it so that it could play back 24f and 30f... maybe this all belongs in Area 51... who knows...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Okay, I am Area 51ing right now, but I would guess that would be the easiest and most likely path for Canon is to work with SONY in getting the SONY deck to support the "F" modes. It makes sense and like I said above, I cannot imagine Canon would be so dumb to NOT have a plan in place for all this. No way...

Can't wait, though. For now I'll have fun shooting 1080i. It looks incredible.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Trustee

HEH, a little off topic but the Sony HD Decks that support Progressive capture used to have an F- to signify it was capable of doing such, (there was an HDW-500 and an HDW-F500, same with the camera's f900/ f950) I wonder if that mean's there will be an F-M1U

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders