XL2 Presets in XLH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 30th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 Presets in XLH1

Do the Custom presets I use with my XL2 apply to the XLH1?
Old January 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Try them, I did, but I found that I needed to do additional tweaking, especially with Master Ped and Coring.

On my XL2 I had the Chroma at +2 to 4, depending. Doesn't seem necessary with the H1. Also the H1 has an additional Cine Gamma setting that seems to be closer to the DVX cameras, which should make old Panasonic users happy.

The main thing is what you're evaluating your footage on to make decisions. If it's a good production monitor, no problem. If it's an SD TV, it's going to be different than on an HD screen. I'm using an old 14" JVC CRT (4x3) production monitor for color and a 42" Panasonic Plasma HD for the "look". Then double checking on a Sony 38" CRT television. Scopes are the final step, but that's for broadcast and I tend not to worry about it too much till I'm editing.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Wrangler

Yeah, as far as I know, there's no direct way to "upload" an H1 custom preset to the XL2. Since there's no sign yet that Canon is going to have an SDK that supports the H1, I suppose that 3rd party preset managers like Blue Barn won't be created for the H1.

And as Steve has indicated, probably not worth trying to directly move settings from one model of camera to the other...different CCD block, different signal processing, additional presets in the H1 that don't exist in the XL2.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders