Wide Angle Lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 04:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Wide Angle Lens?

The 3x XL lens is shown on page 147 of the instruction manual as 3.4 - 10.2 mm (The Equivalent In 35mm Is 24-72mm) and it is implied as being compatable with the XL H1 in the HDV mode. Is this the same lens as the one used on the XL1 & XL2. On the B & H web site it is only listed as compatable with the XL1 & 2.
Terry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, no, the 3x Wide Angle lens is *not* implied as being compatable with the XL H1 in the HDV mode. It is compatible with the XL H1 only in SD mode.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:54 AM   #3
Wrangler

Terry,

Depends what you mean by compatible. All XL series lenses will function on the XL H1, and as you noted, are listed in the manual as accessories to the XL H1. Canon recommends the SD lenses (that would be all XL lenses except the new HD 20x) for SD use only.

But when the little red "HD Incompatible Lens" notice goes away after powering up, the SD lenses do function in HDV mode. The resolution and contrast of the SD lenses may not be quite up to the new HD lens, but I have personally tested the 3x on the XL H1, and others have tested the 16x, and the verdict is that the SD lenses are worth keeping in one's bag of toys. The image quality of the 3x -- often accused of being a soft lens even for use with the XL2 -- was not really much less than the HD lens and apparently the 16x looked pretty darn nice (too sleepy to look up the thread, but if you search the forum, should be easy to find).

Another nice tidbit is that the SD lenses are ever-so-slightly wider on the H1 than they were with the XL2. So when I need WIDE, I'll be slapping my trusty ol' 3x on my HD camera.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders