XL H1 and 35mm lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 6th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL H1 and 35mm lenses

I have been following the thread with intense interest, but I have questions. I checked out the Mini35. What a fantastic tool. But the cost is somewhat extreme, and I was wondering what tradeoffs would one encounter if you were to machine an adapter plate, similar in concept to the plates that allow, say, a Chev 350 to be mated to an early Cadillac transmission, which would use the Canon mount on one side, and the 35mm mount on the other? You would lose the auto features, of course, but, assume that you were willing to set the various parameters manually, would this kind of setup work? And, if so, what would you lose?
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I can't answer your question but I can give you another tip:

Here at the boards guys started making their own 35mm adapters (still do, btw) and one of them had a commercial succes with it.
It's now called the Micro35 adapter, or M2 (new version).
A complete set (I think with lense and case and stuff) costs like a tenth of the official Mini35...
Gives the same results, exept that your image is being recorded upsidedown, but you can just reverse that in your NLE.
Worth a try?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you!

Wow! What a huge gift to the community! Man, I am totally psyched. Got to get me one of those!
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #4
Major Player

What you describe doing will technically work, but you'll get none of the DOF advantages of the lens. In fact, the focal lengths will be off by many multiples because of the much smaller imaging area (1/3" versus 35 mm.)
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Btw, Roy, Joseph's comment was on your initial idea, not on the micro35 adapter.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #6
Major Player

What Mathiew said. ;-)

The mini-35 relies on a relay lens to provide the 1/3" sensor with the 35mm lens' "projected" image.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ah, the subtleties... I thank you for the information, although I am not exactly sure that I understand the cautions fully. Enough that I know that an answer exists, that it is very affordable, and that my DP will be able to play nice and make pretty pictures.
I love this board!
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders