LIT Pixel is KILLING ME - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 9th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #16
Trustee

Matthew thats what I'm trying to find out, it seems odd to me that according to canon there is no pixel masking available, but honestly right now I'm not even sure how to acess the service menu.
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #17
Regular Crew

That would have been nice. However, nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Greene
I know this is not the solution for a camera just out of the box but for future reference does the H1 allow pixel masking through a service menu?
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Michael is actually right for a change. Service menus are a closely guarded Canon secret. The general public (that is, all of us) will never be let in on how to do this. It's a trip to the CUSA service center.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I thought service manuals and details by law have to be available to anyone that requests them and/or owns the product. As an example, I've gotten service manuals for my gear from http://www.user-service-manuals.com/ in the past, you technically make a small donation and they give you the link. Plus what broadcaster or serious production company with an engineering team would purchase the camera without this info disclosed?
Matthew Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Greene
Plus what broadcaster or serious production company with an engineering team would purchase the camera without this info disclosed?
Thats right, I have worked for a major TV Station in Sydney and we always got our Tech Services guys to fix equipment, we never made a service call to any third party until our own techs said they couldn't fix it. Half the time in the TS workshop they had Sony cameras lined up on the floor and on desks with the guts everywhere... If Canon are going to be secretive with this information then they will completely miss out on any chance of a Pro/Broadcast market with this camera, how else is a large broadcaster going to save money if they have to send equipment to third parties for repair...
Ashley Hosking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Nick.. are you sure your lit pixel is a lit CCD pixel and not an LCD of VF pixel? I was checking out my H1 and thought I was seeing a lit CCD pixel, however it appears that I have a bright pixel on the LCD/VF as I cannot see it on an external monitor.
Old January 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Lit or dead. I guess a dead cluster is black and a lit cluster is white etc. Either way both get mapped out. Btw, it's never a single pixel its actually a cluster.

Nick wassup with your H1?

Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
PappasArts & Arrfilms Main site

XLH1 and HVX200 frame grabs and news here:
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms

http://www.PappasArts.com
http://www.Myspace.com/
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #23
Trustee

Sorry, it's been a busy couple of days on set. My XL is staying with the shoot until completion. I'm posiutive the lit pixel is on the ccd block, because it shows up through the HD-SDI out on an HD monitor. I spoke with my dealer and he said as soon as I bring it in they'll look at it and try and get the whole unit replaced by canon (as I've had some other issues as well) but right production just wants to finish the movie and they have a few different plug-ins they're looking at to try and fix the pixel in post.

So all in all, right now it's just a waiting game. Both canon and my dealer are aware of the situation that I'm in, and while I'm not super happy with either, if the camera get's fixed (or replaced) under warranty then I'll have no problems.
Old February 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #24
Major Player

Nick, how did your story end? I also found out that I have like 1 - 10 hot pixels that come and go whenever they feel like it. I cleaned everything, tried different settings but they just appear and then disappear.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Nick,

Just after my 1920 screening format I picked up these LIT or DEAD
pixels today. Just alittle over 1 week I've had the A1.

Took out a 3 year Sagemax protection plan at B+H when bought it
in NYC. They'll cover it and asked me to go to nearest dealer to get
an estimate and if less than 100pct of purchase prize they'll reimburse
cash if more than 100 pct need do something else.

I'll post the estimate for Belgium when known.

Cant upload the screen shots again but please have a look
in this thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=106776&page=2

Nightmare.
Henrik Joensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #26
Trustee

Hey floris,

So yeah what ended up happening is we shot the movie (heh obviously) then when I go the camera back I cleaned everything and took it to the service center, and of course the problem was gone and I felt like a moron.

I will say that there seems to be an issue with lit pixels popping up and disappearing but I think that may be as a result of the mini35 but anyhow seems to be a strange issue, but as of right now, no lit pixels...
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #27
Major Player

6 weeks...

Here in Sweden it took Canon three days to fix it. I had two. However, when it came back it had a new dead one - back to the nice and happy people at Canon - two days!! If it would be necessary to change the CCD it would maybe take up to a week according to the people at the shop.
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders