Thinking about H1 instead of HVX now - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 24th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikial Kabel
My statement still stands, the HVX is the best cam under $10,000, and if you're planning to spend in upwards of $15,000, just get yourself an XDCAM.

It doesn't stand any more than any one else with an absolute opinion about inabsolute things, but we all appreciate such firm conviction.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #32
Rextilleon

Nope---it is more then 15,000---and when you factor in all the little extras you need (like a nice lens) it is probably closer to 20,000 for the entry level cam.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #33
Major Player

HD-SDI chromakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Ny
BTW I just did my H1 first HD-SDI, greenscreen shoot...and it looked amasing!Carl
Any chance you could post a sample? I would love to see an HD-SDI chromakey example.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Glaeser
Any chance you could post a sample? I would love to see an HD-SDI chromakey example.

Best,
Christopher
Yes maybe I can post some later, but the footage is in heavy post production for lots of 3D animation and treatment.
And it´s is not suppose to be ready before a couple of weeks. It´s going to be a big projection
on stage together with a big show...I can´t say more now.
The production company use to use Sony HDCAM Cinalta for greenscreen, but wanted to test the Canon...they are impressed.
Anyway I´m stoked with the camera, it´s small size and heavy performance; a great package.

Regarding post and getting HD-SDI capture;
You don´t need to own everything your self, you can rent post studios.
When I do productions with Digibeta, IMX, HDCAM or film I rent
such equipment, but this Canon XLH1 is a great camera to own for me.

All the best

Carl
Carl Ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #35

Barlow,

Great work on the Sundance stuff. Your "miscSundance2.mov" is making this decision REALLY tough. I think I read in another post somewhere you are using a H1/Mac combo. I like the above clip because it shows some nice bright reds (in the lights and the guys hat) to give a better perspective what the H1 can capture. IMO this is the absolute best H1 clip that I've seen and is REALLY going to give me something to think about today.

Superb!
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #36
Major Player

I'll post a few more once the festival's over. I've got some pretty shots...there's no doubt the H1 is a superb performer and can look any way you want. Personally, I like that the cinegamma is slightly conservative, and not overly driven in any particular direction.

Is there any doubt that 24F has plenty of resolution and will blow-up nicely to any screen size and make a good film-out?
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #37
Regular Crew

The clips look great! As for film out quality, that's something you never know about until you actually see it. I've seen some Varicam stuff blown up that looked great originally, but after being blown up was very shotty.

I think Mr. Papas said it best in another thread using an analogy comparable to this: You can take a photo with a 6mp Nikon D70 and blow it up to the size of a 10mp photo and get a nice clean blowup. Or, you can take a photo with a higher resolution 8mp Sony Cybershot and blow it up to the size of a 10mp photo and the quality will be garbage.
Nikial Kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikial Kabel
The clips look great! As for film out quality, that's something you never know about until you actually see it. I've seen some Varicam stuff blown up that looked great originally, but after being blown up was very shotty.

This isn't to bad rap the idea of film out or higher aspirations and all, but there is an unrealisitc and unnecessary tendency right now to make film out a major consideration with these cameras (HVX, HD100, H1).

The truth is the percentage of indie film makers or other content producers using these or any HD cameras and having their work projected in cinemas is probably analagous to the percentage of people who play the lottery ever actually win.

The great thing about HDV is that it makes HD production obtainable for story tellers. The number of people who's work will ever actually be projected in a theatre is virtually irrelevant IMO.

What's really exciting is the idea of a technology in the coming months whether it's Blu-ray or DVD-HD, that will enable the general population to start seeing our work in HD on their 42" LCD HDTV from Best Buy.
I'm involved with another small production company here that has produced maybe 15 or 20 films on their own lot and studios with name tale, all in 35mm and super 16 over the last 15 years. (It's mostly disaster junk for Porch Light and stuff like the gem just wrapping with Anna Nicole Smith)

Not one of those has ever gone to film out or theaters...every one straight to video and cable and foreign distribution. These have real budgets, crews, and markets, all shot in film and they don't even worry about film out.

The future is all about HD, digital editing, and digital distribution. That's where the market is, that's how people are going to see 99.999% of anything shot in HDV or any small HD camera - HD media, HD broadcast and cable, wide-pipe...hell people will be looking at HD podcasts on their cell phones in the near future.

Film out, shmilm out <g>.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Jim, agreed on your point, I was just replying to Barlow's post stating that a film out on the H1 would unquestionably be good. =)
Nikial Kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton

Is there any doubt that 24F has plenty of resolution and will blow-up nicely to any screen size and make a good film-out?
......... =)
Nikial Kabel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders