XL-H1 with a straight PL mount adapter for Cinema Lenses.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:30 PM   #1
Major Player

XL-H1 with a straight PL mount adapter for Cinema Lenses....

This question is for everybody, but can probably be answered by Chris in 2 seconds....

I came across this website: http://xl1solutions.com/ADAPTERS.htm and they advertise if I use this adapter then it will multiply the focus length by only 2x. Other straight adapters (like these: http://www.letus35.com/XL.html) say the focus length is multiplied by 7x or more.

So what's up? 2x is not bad at all. I heard the custom-made adapters used on the XL1's from "28 Days Later" were only 2x as well. This seems very doable?

But is it true?

I'm just trying to get that narrow DOF we all strive for, and weighing my options, that's all.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Shannon. I'm no expert, but it looks like they're talking about the 16mm lenses when they say 2x. Haven't done the math yet, but I'd guess that the frame of 16mm film is roughly twice the size of the 1/3" ccd, so only half of the lens' image is thrown away. I don't see how a 35mm lens could be also be 2x since they were designed for a much larger image plane. I think that's a convenient omission on the website.

I wonder how well older 16mm lenses would hold up against modern video lenses. Time to check out ebay...

EDIT: I just did the math:0.3333 inch = 8.46582 millimeter

EDIT II: found this on eBay:Zeiss ARRIFLEX Arri 16mm 9.5mm PL mount 1.3 mint lens

That should be 19mm on the Canon, would love to see someone try this baby on and post the results...
Steve Roark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

This topic has been heavily discussed in our XL1 / XL1S Optics & Lens Options forum. Try searching there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders