Just Curious - How's the Autofocus? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 31st, 2006, 10:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Just Curious - How's the Autofocus?

Not sure why this popped into my head - but how does everyone like the autofocus on the H1 (assuming it has both auto/manual)?

I had an XL1 (first vers) back in the day, and thought the autofocus had quite the tendency to 'roam'.

I prefer manual, but it's nice to click on the autofocus in a pinch, depending on what you're doing (ie: the PD150 - which is pretty reliable on auto in my opinion).

Just wondering - and thanks,
Shawn
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Much improved over the XL1 (XL2...not sure), but 24F auto focus is a bit sluggish compared to 60i. It's still great in a pinch though.

I've found the focus assist works pretty dang good too. I always have peaking on (it causes slight ghosting in the image, but it saves your ***), even in SD, and occasionaly jump into magnification mode when tape isn't rolling. I actually haven't found the need to use the B&W mode, but I'm sure it can't hurt.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 05:52 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Auto focus will always be slower on lower framerate (24F compared to 60i in
this example), since it can do less samplings per second.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 07:02 AM   #4
Major Player

The auto focus on the XL-H1 is not as good as the one on the Sony Z1, is my experience. But I never use it anyways.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 07:55 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

For anybody who has seen the "Watchmaker" demo material from Canon USA, about 70% of that was shot in autofocus.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:54 AM   #6
Major Player

And how did that worked out ( I didn't see it)?
Old February 1st, 2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Major Player

It looked beautiful. Lot's of moving action, moving crane shots, etc. It was hard to believe that it was mostly auto focus, but it's true.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 11:34 AM   #8
Major Player

hmm, that's interesting. I'm gonna shoot a simple commercial tomorrow with the H1, I think I'm gonna try the auto focus out on some takes. Thanks for the info.
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:21 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I find the H1 auto focus slower than my Z1, BUT it rarely roams or hunts instead tending to stay locked on solid. The focus assist works well too. I doo miss having a proper momentary auto push button though.
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Yep, me too. I think that the Z1 is unbeatable with that.
Old February 1st, 2006, 01:27 PM   #11
Regular Crew

AF is slow and VF too low rez. to do serious focusing manually. If your used to manual lens and high rez B/W VF then itīs a pain in you know where.

I canīt figure why the B/W mode. No more rez. No point at all. Peaking works fine though.

Still, I do LOVE the camera.
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 07:35 PM   #12
Trustee

My guess is that a slow focus seems more natural, and the lack of wandering or busy focus is less distracting.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:19 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I agree that the VF is PANTS. Peaking helps but they really should have put a higher resolution VF on the camera considering the price. Even though the AF is slow I do like the way it works, and I too love this camera, I'm selling my Z1 and DSR570.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 04:11 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
My guess is that a slow focus seems more natural, and the lack of wandering or busy focus is less distracting.
I agree on that, but the problem is it takes me about 1 second to focus a manual lens. AF sometimes use 4, and in the meantime your object is gone unless it was dead in the first place. You canīt really do it manually either because you have no real reference looking at the LCD. For shoot and run itīs a very REAL problem. So for this kind of work Iīd say the optional B/W high rez is the ting.
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 04:21 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I agree the AF is slow. I could live with that if the VF was better, but can only second Alister's comment that for the price the VF is poor.

Look at the price of the FX1 and for that you get a better VF, plus a nice LCD panel.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders