How do you hold the XL series? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 10th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Major Player

How do you hold the XL series?

My background is shooting stills, and the H1 is my first video camera. My H1 is currently mounted on a teleprompter, but I'm curious, how do you hold the XL series cameras? For starters, does the butt of the camera go "on" your shoulder or pushed "into" your shoulder?

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Major Player

The XL H1 goes on the shoulder. So not like a XL1 which goes against it.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I just hold mine in front...my right shoulder is significantly stronger.
Pete Tomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #4
Major Player

You hold it on your shoulder...and truth be told, it's very front heavy. You can put an Anton Bauer battery on the supplied back accessory plate, or a Firestore, and it might be better balanced, but it's not easy on your right hand. I've been accustomed to this with the old XL so it's not that big a deal to me, but if you're handheld on shots for a long time, it's not that comfortable.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Yep, it is front heavy, and like Barlow is suggesting, I bought the IDX V-mount battery adapter to hold the sony style ones. Don't have it yet 'cause it wasn't available at the dealer at the time I bought it.

Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #6
Major Player

With the XL2, and I assume with the Xl H1, I put on the CH 910 battery charger with two BP 945's. I add a wireless reciever on there and it balances quite well!
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
With the XL2, and I assume with the Xl H1, I put on the CH 910 battery charger with two BP 945's. I add a wireless reciever on there and it balances quite well!
This is exactly what I do with my new XL-H1 ... but I use 2 of the new BP 970 high capacity batteries on it ... it certainly adds for weight on the camera, but it balances it quite nice on the shoulder ...
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Nice Solution

Very nice solutions to balancing the camera. I am considering doing the same. Could someone post a pic of the XL-H1 with the CH-910/dual battery solution attached?

Regards,

Greg
Greg Bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #9
Major Player

I will when I get the chance. I have a Vocas mattbox w/rails as well, so it does add weight on the camera ... makes it well over 10 pounds with the dual 970s ...
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #10
Major Player

i find a simple waist strap-style stabalizer works wonders. you can hold it for hours and hours without feeling the pain.. the cheap ones that are like a monopod coming from a strp around your waist
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Upon purchasing an xl2, I seriously got into weight lifting at my High School. Trust me, after like two months, your camera will feel like nothing.

TWC was here for the one year anniversary of hurricane Charley, and the guy there (shooting shoulder mount with BetacamSP or something) was likewise gigantesque. It sounds funny, but I guess it makes sense.
Jeff McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #12
Regular Crew

One thing I like with the H1 is that I DONīT have to carry my Anton Bauer batteries. For interviews you have to put it on your shoulder, and for short intervals itīs no problem. For everything else I shoot from the waist using the included strap. For serious work it will be on a tripod anyway.
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #13
Trustee

is there a way to dismount the XLR plate? i don't use it often.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders