XL-H1 Overcrank clip! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 16th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #16
Major Player

Here are the specifics from Compressor:

Name: 1080ito60p conversion
Description: DVCPRO HD 720p60 with audio pass-through
File Extension: mov
Audio: multi-track passthrough
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 1280
Height: 720
Pixel aspect ratio: DVCPRO HD 720p (16:9)
Crop: None
Frame rate: 59.94
Frame Controls:
Retiming: High quality Motion Compensated
Resize Filter: Statistical Prediction
Deinterlace Filter: Motion Compensated
Adaptive Details: On
Antialias: 0
Detail Level: 0
Field Output: Progressive
Codec Type: DVCPRO HD 720p60
Multi-pass: Off, frame reorder: Off
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 99
Min. Spatial quality: 50
Temporal quality: 0
Min. temporal quality: 50
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Good job Barlow.

Now if you could find a way to make the colors to pop a little more in the shadows like the HVX...That would be great really. The Canon is very clean. ...but it still look a little too edgy for my taste, so maybe dial down the detail a little would look smoother ?

1-Could you try some different gamma/colors settings in high contrast environment ? I'm curious...

2-What is your workflow ? is it time consuming ? What is the cost of the card ?

thanks
Antoine Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Antoine.

In time I'll be testing all kinds of looks in camera. That said, I think color correction has a lot of latitude from even the HDV, so it's always possible to get what you want in post--or at least damn close. Try Magic Bullet or lots of other ways to massage the image.

Workflow:

--I capture and edit in DVCPRO HD from SDI output (whether HDV playback or live signal) with the Kona LH card

--Output 1080i clips for slow motion processing in Compressor

--I convert to 720 60p and then conform to 24fps playback in Cinema Tools

That's about all.

I put up a slow motion HDV clip. It's a guy whooshing down a snow tubing hill. There's a 60p converted h.264 and the 24p conversion in h.264. It was processed with said workflow. The clips are titled:

H1HDVto60ph264.mov
H1HDVto720pOcrankh264.mov

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton

Last edited by Barlow Elton; February 16th, 2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #19
Regular Crew

thanks Barlow,

I can't wait for your tests.

I think that both the HVX and the XLH1 can produce beautifull images, no doubt. They look very different, but good.
Antoine Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #20
Trustee

I just noticed that you used DVCpro HD to edit and convert this with. This clip had amazing detail but it could have been even better yet. DVCproHD only records 960x720 pixels compared to the full 1280x720 that you could get in this conversion. It would be interesting to see the results if you converted to a 720p uncompressed codec instead. You should be able to pull even more horizontal detail if you did it that way.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
I just noticed that you used DVCpro HD to edit and convert this with. This clip had amazing detail but it could have been even better yet. DVCproHD only records 960x720 pixels compared to the full 1280x720 that you could get in this conversion. It would be interesting to see the results if you converted to a 720p uncompressed codec instead. You should be able to pull even more horizontal detail if you did it that way.
I actually forced it to render 1280x720, instead of 920x720 because for some reason I ended up with a squarish frame...which I could correct in QT, but it bothered me.

Uncompressed would look slightly better, for sure.
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #22
Trustee

I didn't think you could force the DVCpro HD to encode 1280x720. It may just be setting the aspect ratio flag in different ways but still only giving 960x720 pixels of data.
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #23
Major Player

Well "force" may be the wrong word. I changed it to custom frame size of 1280x720 because I was getting the square picture by the default.
Old February 17th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
I rendered the clip into 720p60 uncompressed. It ended up being 1.18 GB for 8 seconds!!

Here are a few tiffs from it.

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton
Old February 18th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #25

Barlow Elton, I was away from my broadband connection and it wasn't possible to download the last files that you posted and linked in your download account.

Is it possible to link them again? It would be so much appreciated because the subject is very useful to me and to my future investment.

Thank you very much.
Old February 18th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #26
Trustee

You could also export to photojpeg at 75% or 100%. 100% is 4:4:4 while 75% is 4:2:2
Old February 18th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #27
Major Player

Some clips are back up Leuname.

Thomas, there's a h.264 from the 60p uncompressed render. It's the original 1280x720, and it's better than the photojpeg at the same bit rate.

It's hard to see the extra horizontal detail over the DVCPRO HD for some reason.
Old February 18th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
Some clips are back up Leuname.
Though away from my office I already began to download them.

Quote:
Thomas, there's a h.264 from the 60p uncompressed render. It's the original 1280x720, and it's better than the photojpeg at the same bit rate.

It's hard to see the extra horizontal detail over the DVCPRO HD for some reason.
Because its size I will download it at last during the next 24 hours. I'm very interested to see the results. Thanks again.
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #29
Major Player

OK, great result, very smooth. Now I thought I would apply that procedure in my production and got stuck, on the fact that my camera is european version, thus I only have 50i, not 60i. So, there is no DVCPRO HD 50p. and if I go from 50i to 60p, I don't think will get the same result. Will I?

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old February 19th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan Bakhia
OK, great result, very smooth. Now I thought I would apply that procedure in my production and got stuck, on the fact that my camera is european version, thus I only have 50i, not 60i. So, there is no DVCPRO HD 50p. and if I go from 50i to 60p, I don't think will get the same result. Will I?
Can't hurt to try. I was actually really surprised to not see a 50p "Easy Setup" in FCP.

I think what you should try is capture your footage in DVCPROHD 1080 50i, render into another codec (uncompressed or photojpeg) at 50fps, and then you (in theory) could get a 2x slowdown after conforming to 25p in Cinema Tools, or you could try the Nattress plug-in using "map frames".
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders