HD-SDI 4:2:0 or true 4:2:2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 7th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #1

HD-SDI 4:2:0 or true 4:2:2?

Regarding the new Sony's PDW-F330 XDCAM HD, Michael Devlin info us from this here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Devlin
Sony has told me that the CCD/DSP image is only capturing 4:2:0. The 4:2:0 signal is then interpolated to 4:2:2 to produce the SDI output.
Is it the same thing at the Canon's XL-H1 or not?
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Ask someone to shot some red, blue, green, magenta, cyan and yellow triangle shapes and then we will know for sure

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't see a reason for that since all the ccds have the same resolution.
Pete Tomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #4
RED Problem Solver

There's no reason other than:

to save money on a cheaper DSP,
to differentiate between low end and high end products.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Canon XL H1 vs XDCAM HD HDSDI output

In the post referenced above I think I mentioned that we were comparing the HDSDI output from the Sony HDC-X300 (same image processing as the XDCAM HD) to a Canon XL H1. My impression is that the Canon is full 4:2:2. There are several tests we did which would support this. The first involved chroma keying and wire removal shots. We captured HD SDI from both cameras into Avid Adrenaline Media Composer HD using DNxHD 220 10bit. For Chroma Keying we tried both the Avid Spectramatte effect and the Boris Continuum Keying effect.

We found that the Canon pulled a very clean matte with almost no work. In fact, sometimes we could let Boris pull the matte with no manual cleanup. The resulting images were extremely clean, with very good definition on the edges, and only a few places where we had to define a manual matte or use other tricks. In contrast, it was very difficult to pull a clean matte with the X300, and we could never eliminate all of the edge crawl from most shots. As always, proper lighting was absolutely critical. Small changes in lighting can make it very difficult to pull a clean matte.

We had similar results with wire removal, where the clean edges of the Canon image allowed us to define a narrower wire region and disturb the background less.

We also monitored the HD SDI output in a Leader LV5750 HD waveform monitor / vectorscope which has a digital data dump feature. While trolling through the data is a bit tough, certainly my impression is that edges are transitioning in 1-2 pixels with the Canon, versus 2-4 pixels with the X300.

I should mention that on other tests (lattitude, vertical smear, etc.) the X300 greatly outperformed the Canon. If there is interest I can post a more complete comparison.

While the X300 is the "same" CCD and image processing as the XDCAM HD, I have an early X300 and I believe Sony has made some improvements since then. Playing with the PDW-F350 a few weeks ago the images looked pretty good. That is why we ordered one. Obviously we will run a more complete set of tests once the F350 arrives (end of this month hopefully).
Michael Devlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders