New XL H1 Stuck Pixel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New XL H1 Stuck Pixel

I know this has been discussed in the past however I wanted to express my concern. I purchased a new XL H1 from B&H in fact I have purchased my XL1 and XL2 from them in the past. I have not used the H1 except for 8 minutes of actual recording time. I turned it on today and lo and behold a dead pixel (acutally it is a "stuck" pixel). I know about the mfg. minimum limit with bad pixels on LCD's and masking out bad pixels etc. so we don't need to go into detail about that. I'm just annoyed that Canon (according to B&H) will not "do anything" if you have a few bad pixels on a brand new camcorder. Not too upset with B&H however is this the policy with all manufacturers or is this one of those things where you have to scream louder and longer until they respond.

I also wonder since B&H is so big, maybe it's better for us "little" consumers that only spend $9,000 to deal with a more personable company like ZGC or EVS. I'm not too upset but just curious for future purchases.
Bill Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Taka
I'm just annoyed that Canon (according to B&H) will not "do anything" if you have a few bad pixels on a brand new camcorder.
When I placed my order with B&H for the XL H1, I wanted to make sure I received an unopened box. The salesman assured me that I could return the camera if quote, "I didn't like the smell of the box" end quote. Now, I don't know if he meant I could open the box, test the camera for a few minutes, and then return it, but you should doulbe check the return policy to see if they will take it back.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #3
Trustee

Is this pixel issue in the viewfinder or the camera CCD? If it is just the viewfinder then maybe you can get them to swap it out.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes it is in the EVF. B&H has the position of "Canon will not replace a EVF with 1 or even multiple bad pixels" but this is old news already discussed elsewhere. I now assume, no matter new or not, whatever Canon product you own with a EVF lcd, this is not a returnable product under warranty. Unless, as I mentioned, you scream loud and long until they tire of you. I don't have the energy, however I won't forget!
Old March 10th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Even though I feel your angst-just be thankful that at present you don't own an hd100. The issues around it's reliability and corporate ammendmentd to their warranty policy as it suits them, based on cosumer complaints is the stuff that will leave people feeling burned for years to come. The problem with purchasing from larger conglomerates like B & H can be that they are too big, that one salesman won't call up Canon and plea your case or advocate you. But it's the price we pay for the money we save. Up until now, returns and exchanges were easier to avoid. With the new technology - there are a few bugs to work out. However, I question that if dead pixels, or a Split screen in JVC's case aren't considered defects, then it's clear that manufacturers have lowered the standards on quality control. It's a pitty really. How is HDV to become a standard for consumers, nevertheless broadcasters unless manufacturers hold themselves to a higher level of quality (as sony or panasonic does with their pro line products) - which would give broadcasters, and freelancers alike peace of mind that they will have a return on their investment. The bottom line for manufacturers is money, and that is ok. But the bottom line for us as well is money, how is the system suppossed to work if we don't watch each others back. Canon looks after customer, customers remains loyal to canon products. Canon can learn from other manufacturers who have shot themselves in the foot by forgetting who their bread and butter is, and suffered as a result. All in all I like canon, but it is a shame there isn't more empathy on their end. Perhaps the cameras should not be released until they are certain the product is refined. Dead pixel after a year is forgiveable. Not in the first few months of owning the product.
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Exactly my sentiments Albert. I really don't blame B&H, they are what they are. I believe with all camera/camcorders manufacturers there is a quality to customer satisfaction ratio which increases with the R&D of their product. This policy has been in effect for years however what the decision makers overlook is the proliferation of online communication forums such as Dvinfo and others. Anyone serious on their purchase is going to Google their research which gets directed to the most up-to-date info. Consumers will voice their opinions, we purchase based on our research. They can spend their advertising dollars but we are not beta testers we are the consumers.
As you say Albert I like Canon and all the sponsors on dvinfo. I am just one person who offically is voting my opinion on a brand new XL H1 purchase with a defect and I love the product but give very low marks for the customer service I have received.
Old March 10th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #7
Trustee

Canon does not seem to realize they can't treat a $9000 consumer video product as if it is a $1500 consumer videoproduct. As another XLH1 purchaser I sympathize with you and think you should call Canon directly if B+H won't carry the issue for you. They may have some resistance to your plight but you probably will get some satisfaction if you get to the right person at Canon. I strongly encourage you to spend the time and energy. Good luck
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

All camcorder manufacturers (not just Canon) consider any LCD panel to be within acceptable quality control limits if 99.97 to 99.99 per cent of the LCD pixels are firing. That means if you have three or four bad pixels in the display, it's not considered defective.

I'm not defending that position -- I'm just explaining it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Canon holds themselves to consumer standards. Not pro video standards. 97% is unacceptable coming off the line for other companies manufacturing professional broadcast gear. Why should it be different for Canon?
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

It isn't different for Canon and I did not say 97%. Please re-read my post. I said 99.97 or higher.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders