Uncompressed XL H1 footage via HD-SDI to DVCPROHD VTR? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 10th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Uncompressed XL H1 footage via HD-SDI to DVCPROHD VTR?

Hey guys,

I've been looking for the best option for an indie film. I own an HVX200 but I know that the XL H1 has the best rez for any camera under $10,000.

So my question is this. Can I run HD-SDI out from the XL H1 to a Panasonic VTR deck and record the feed as DVCPROHD? That way, I can import the footage and edit on my Final Cut system.

Reason for the trouble? I dislike the HDV format but want to utilize the XL H1's resolution.

Is this a viable option? I don't have much experience using VTR's. Thanks!

Andrew
Andrew Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Indeed you can, in fact this is exactly how Canon USA recorded their "Watchmaker" 24F demo that's been circulating at their trade shows and dealer trainings. Just be aware that the SDI output from the H1 carries video and sync data only... no time code or audio. You can get time code from the H1's TC output instead. Audio is best sourced from an external sound system separate from the camera.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Camera to HDCAM deck

I was wondering if someone has tried this yet... how does the 24f translate...

Sending a crew down to Cancun for some second unit stuff... some of the tech guys at Laser Pacific said that the camera goes perfectly into an HDcam deck...

Just wanted to see if someone else has done this...

Thanks
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

It goes perfectly into any VTR that has an SDI input. That includes HDCAM, DigiBeta, whatever.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Chris! That's some very exciting news. I'd love to give it a shot when my film gets off the ground. Awesome!
Andrew Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Question

Is it possible to run and record to a mini DV casette in camera while capturing via SDI output?
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #7
Starway Pictures

Absolutely. I just did a greenscreen shoot where I recorded the HD-SDI into my Decklink card and simultaneously recorded HDV to tape. I primarily used the tape to record the audio. I then re-sync'd them in FCP.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Robert,

Did you try keying the SDI (I'm presuming DV100 acquisition?) AND the HDV originated footage and compare the two? It would be interesting to read your take on that.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #9
Starway Pictures

Actually captured full raster PhotoJPEG. I haven't tried keying the HDV material. But keying the P-JPG stuff is going very very well. But because it's a project for Disney I'm forbidden from sharing any of the footage or frames.
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #10
Capt. Quirk

Is any of that Disney footage of the Haunted Mansion? I always loved that place!
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Starway Pictures

Unfortunately no. It's for a new consumer product.

I was lucky enough, however, to shoot a project for Disney inside Disneyland back in December (a dual XL2 shoot). That was a thrill for me personally.

http://disney.go.com/inside/yearbook/

-
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders
Actually captured full raster PhotoJPEG. I haven't tried keying the HDV material. But keying the P-JPG stuff is going very very well. But because it's a project for Disney I'm forbidden from sharing any of the footage or frames.
Glad to hear that's working well. You finally got the full raster capture. Cool...what did you change?

Speaking of Disney...

I have to share something from me 'ol film school daze. I did this for a doc filmmaking class almost 9 years ago. It's called "Disney on Ice".

http://www.threeringfilms.net/Three%...0On%20Ice.html

Encoded from the only surviving VHS copy, shot in an afternoon with a crappy 1 chip tiny Sony DV camera in "widescreen" mode, with some Super8 film too. I didn't know how to "unsqueeze" the DV at the time, and I was just beginning to use the old crappy Adobe Premiere 4.2 (mac version) with a Miro capture card. Crashes, sync problems, but it was better than the school's old D-Vision NLE systems.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #13
Starway Pictures

Manually set the frame size to 1920x1080, square pixels, codec=PhotoJPEG, Quality = 75%.
Old March 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #14
Starway Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
Glad to hear that's working well. You finally got the full raster capture. Cool...what did you change?

Speaking of Disney...

I have to share something from me 'ol film school daze. I did this for a doc filmmaking class almost 9 years ago. It's called "Disney on Ice".

http://www.threeringfilms.net/Three%...0On%20Ice.html

Encoded from the only surviving VHS copy, shot in an afternoon with a crappy 1 chip tiny Sony DV camera in "widescreen" mode, with some Super8 film too. I didn't know how to "unsqueeze" the DV at the time, and I was just beginning to use the old crappy Adobe Premiere 4.2 (mac version) with a Miro capture card. Crashes, sync problems, but it was better than the school's old D-Vision NLE systems.
Dude. That was some funny *** ****! I love Mickey doing the "loco" sign. LOL! Brilliant!
Old March 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks man. I can't take much credit other than shooting and editing it. My friend Joe Reafsnyder and I came up with the idea quickly and shot the thing a few days before our project was due.

Credit where credit's due: my friend Tony just ad-libbed everything. Funny guy.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders