EVF delay at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 18th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1
Major Player

EVF delay

there is a definite delay in my viewfinder from real time, if you snap your fingers in front of the lens there's a noticeable difference between when you hear it and when you see it in the viewfinder, i'd guess about 1/10th of a second or more, sometimes it seems worse than that and it's killing me for handheld work, is there a way to tune this out or is it going to Canon?

any help is much appreciated.

-Jon
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #2
Major Player

I think that's the DIGIC processing. I've found it's more pronounced with 24F than 60i.

How is it killing you? Do you watch what you're shooting with one eye open, while the other is fixed on the EVF?

Sorry if I'm being a little obtuse, but I don't understand how that delay ruins handheld work?
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:34 AM   #3
Major Player

See my post here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=60251

Its only noticeable in 25F (PAL model), not 50i. After 2 months now, Im used to it, but it still doesn't seems right.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Major Player

well it may not be KILLING be but it is certainly causing an unwanted allergic reaction during high speed action work which i've been shooting all week.

i usually shoot handheld with one eye on the action and one on the viewfinder and having them out of sync during scenes with quick whip pans and such just doesn't feel at all natural like the 2 lobes of my brain are out of sync.

so there's no fix and this is a natural problem with the camera? well that sucks and while i've been very forgiving of the minor flaws in the H1 and LOVE the image it produces that just seems like an all together un-acceptable flaw.
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #5
Major Player

I especially notice it with run and gun interviews, just to much delay between the real audio and the image. Indeed a shame for a 10.000 dollar camera.. BUt as I said, I'm very well used to it now and only if someone else looks trough the viewfinder I'll remember the issue..
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders