A timecode SDI Capture semi-success at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 25th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #1
Major Player

A timecode SDI Capture semi-success

Hey everyone,

I was able to capture SDI HDV output to the Kona with device control and timecode this evening. I used a RS 422 to Control L adapter and controlled the H1 through the LANC port. The only hitch is each time I tried to do an automated batch capture, FCP lost VTR communication and aborted capture. However, I was able to do a capture now with timecode and just stop capture manually. Timecode is there but I can't seem to do a simple unattended batch capture.

Well, on one hand it's nice to know that I can work with SDI and have a timecode reference for future batch redigitizing if necessary. On the other hand I am really annoyed that FCP still doesn't support this camera and 24F mode. Sure would be nice to not have to attempt all these crazy workarounds.

fwiw,

Barlow
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Isn't it possible to control the camera via the firewire connection while capturing via SDI?
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

As far as I can tell, no. FCP gave me a message each time saying the capture had to be HDV if the control was through HDV/Firewire. It didn't give any other options.
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #4
New Boot

Deck Control via Firwire

You are right about not being able to choose hdv deck control over firewire. For the Z1 you must choose Firewire NTSC or Firewire NTSC NDF. We use this to capture uncompress HD from the component outputs.
Ernesto Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Major Player

So firewire NTSC control actually gives you the timecode from the HDV tapes? I'll have to test this. That'd be wonderful if true.
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto Sanchez
You are right about not being able to choose hdv deck control over firewire. For the Z1 you must choose Firewire NTSC or Firewire NTSC NDF. We use this to capture uncompress HD from the component outputs.
I just tried this and it didn't work at all. It just said "no communiction" for VTR functions. I've only had luck with this adapter thing, but it doesn't keep VTR communication when batch digitizing. That's ok for me because I don't like to shuttle around on the camera anyway, but I do want an actual tape timecode reference for possible future uses.

[rant] All that said, it's pathetic that the camera will have been on the market for nearly 6 months if and when FCP 6 is announced at NAB.. If they do add support I guess it's another one of those "forced" upgrades for functionality that should've been added with relatively little fanfare months ago. [/rant]

Last edited by Barlow Elton; March 25th, 2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
[rant] All that said, it's pathetic that the camera will have been on the market for nearly 6 months if and when FCP 6 is announced at NAB.. If they do add support I guess it's another one of those "forced" upgrades for functionality that should've been added with relatively little fanfare months ago. [/rant]
I agree with you on that, the 25F mode works perfectly with FCP, so to me it just seems to bee a small software tweak or so..
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Starway Pictures

Quote:
I just tried this and it didn't work at all. It just said "no communiction" for VTR functions. I've only had luck with this adapter thing, but it doesn't keep VTR communication when batch digitizing. That's ok for me because I don't like to shuttle around on the camera anyway, but I do want an actual tape timecode reference for possible future uses.

Amazing how Apple offered up support for Panny BEFORE the HVX was even released. I guess Canon didn't write enough zeros on their check to Steve Jobs!
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #9
Starway Pictures

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I was able to capture SDI HDV output to the Kona with device control and timecode this evening. I used a RS 422 to Control L adapter and controlled the H1 through the LANC port. The only hitch is each time I tried to do an automated batch capture, FCP lost VTR communication and aborted capture. However, I was able to do a capture now with timecode and just stop capture manually. Timecode is there but I can't seem to do a simple unattended batch capture.

Well, on one hand it's nice to know that I can work with SDI and have a timecode reference for future batch redigitizing if necessary. On the other hand I am really annoyed that FCP still doesn't support this camera and 24F mode. Sure would be nice to not have to attempt all these crazy workarounds.

fwiw,

Barlow
Which RS-422 to LANC adapter did you use?
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #10
Major Player

It's called "Rosetta Stone" model RS-4L from Addenda Electronics. I borrowed it from a friend at an edit studio I often work at.
Old March 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders
Amazing how Apple offered up support for Panny BEFORE the HVX was even released. I guess Canon didn't write enough zeros on their check to Steve Jobs!
Well, to be fair, the hoopla over FCP 4.5 (year and a half ago?) was the integration of the DVCPRO HD codec. The Panny demo DVD was 1080i stuff and a lot of Varicam material. Overall, I'm glad they acquired the codec in FCP because it's a good practical option, and where's HDCAM?

It sucks that FCP has dragged it's heels with the HDV cameras, but it'll be sorted out soon enough. Probably the best thing about FCP are all the codecs integrated in it. It has made for some interesting workarounds that may be a PITA, yet I'm still glad were possible.
Old March 26th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
...and where's HDCAM?
Blame Sony for that, they don't go public with the codec, so third party's like Apple have to go uncompressed with that material. Only Sony's NLE's use the real HDCAM codec is what I've heard.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders