Photo JPEG Conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 7th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Photo JPEG Conversion

I converted some 60i footage into Offline PhotoJPEG, and I can see the difference between the high res clip and it. Which JPEG setting is the lossless version I've heard so much about on this forum.
Brad Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #2
Major Player

http://www.hdvxdv.com, http://www.squared5.com/

--Download the trial of HDVxDV,
--Download MPEG Streamclip
--Capture m2t's in HDVxDV
--Open MPEG Streamclip
--Drop your m2t's into the main window. Go to "Export Quicktime" and choose PhotoJPEG, drag the slider to the right to be "75% qualtiy". Choose the frame size of 1920x1080. You can also choose 100% quality just to check the differences.
--Create a custom setup in FCP to work with PhotoJPEG 1080i clips. Make sure the timeline is set to work with a 1920x1080 frame size.
--Import clips into FCP and edit away.

This is the only way you'll get usable 24F captures. FCP won't capture 24F AFIK. There's also a utility called DVHS Cap that can supposedly capture 24F, but I havent' tried it.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Major Player

I use DVHSCap to capture 24F footage, and it works very well. I then take the 24F .m2t into MPEG Streamclip and do my conversions there.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan
I use DVHSCap to capture 24F footage, and it works very well. I then take the 24F .m2t into MPEG Streamclip and do my conversions there.
There seems to be one critical limitation to DVHSCap: as far as I've been able to determine, DVHSCap is unable to capture time code. I will do some more testing tomorrow, also involving HDVxDV, and will report what I find...
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Capt. Quirk

Ok... I gotta ask this- what happens to the audio when you change it to photojpeg? Is it capable of using audio tracks, or do you need to have them seperate?
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Typically your audio is converted to 16bit 48khz uncompressed. It's integrated with the video.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders