xtreme sport type shots with lots of motion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 15th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #16
Major Player

I've been able to capture timecode with a LANC to RS422 adapter, and it controls the H1 too, but batch capture is dicey so it's only of benefit for future redigitizing if necessary when the camera is properly supported.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so heavily invested in FCP. The Cineform option is looking better all the time.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #17
Major Player

I'm wondering with the new Macpro's or whatever the new laptops are called... if you could bring it in as a cineform codec and then somehow they make it work with FCP...

Just some wishes...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
I've been able to capture timecode with a LANC to RS422 adapter, and it controls the H1 too, but batch capture is dicey so it's only of benefit for future redigitizing if necessary when the camera is properly supported.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so heavily invested in FCP. The Cineform option is looking better all the time.
Thanks for clarifying your experience. Apple is lacking some consideration on H1 and HD100 for sure. I don't like it.
Mac Book Pro (all intel macs) probably could work Premiere Pro and Cineform under the Bootcamp. What do you think?
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Personally, they should not be advertising hdv support if they only support one company. sony.
Jeff Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
Thanks for clarifying your experience. Apple is lacking some consideration on H1 and HD100 for sure. I don't like it.
Mac Book Pro (all intel macs) probably could work Premiere Pro and Cineform under the Bootcamp. What do you think?
I'd looks like Bootcamp might be the solution...but I'd really like to see the Cineform codec integrated within QT and FCP. That said, I'm certainly not averse to running Premiere Pro to get proper 24F support and the best intermediate codec.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I think it will be a life save if it proves supported and stable.

Personally I'm probably one of the few who loves windows and most windows software but today not only do you really need apple for some things, it's stable. I've had so many pc's especially the laptops that were either a complete waste of money or needed continual tech support. Since I swithed to apple I havn't had these issue. Also PC's do support things quicker.

I really hope mactel is the answer and does not turn out to be a disappointment for both traditional pc and apple people.
Jeff Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #22
Major Player

I'm currently trying to decide between the HVX and H1 for shooting motorcycle races. The HVX at 720p60 seems the logical choice but I think the P2 workflow is going to be more of a hassle than it's worth at this point, at least until large capacity cards become available. The H1 looks like an excellent option as well but I'm concerned about HDV's ability to handle panning with brightly colored bikes moving at ~200mph. I've got an HC1 which I'm just shooting casually with but I've noticed a lot of compression artifacts when creating slow motion footage from it.

Quote:
Also, I noticed in HDV in general, some red object moving even moderate speed in front or on green surface like grass would introduce blocky artifacts on the edge of red object. My friend is a Specialized rider and he wears the red Specialized jersey, and him moving around on grass area always introduced blocky compression.

You might be able to locate that problem in this H.264 clip shot with FX1 and HC1 here.
I can see the blocky-ness along the edges of his jersey, but is that present in the original footage? I've noticed that seems to be present in any h.264 footage with strong primary colors and I'm assuming it's due to the color sub-sampling of h.264 itself. Take a look at HD the miami vice trailers on quicktime.com and you can see the exact same thing in the solid red/blue titles, which I assume came from an uncompressed source.

Quote:
FYI, HVR-A1 is an interesting camera for x-treme sports shooting especially with some camera motion that goes from dark to bright since it does not associate with ND filters. CMOS provides some terrific dynamic range that can handle from dark to bright without switching the ND filters (probably Barry dan explain this professionally).
I really like the HC1 but as I mentioned it exhibits noticeable mpeg artifacts when panning quickly - I don't know if this is simply a limitation of HDV or if a better encoder could do a better job, such as the one in the H1. While the CMOS does handle high dynamic range nicely, it actually does incorporate 2 automatic internal ND's which hit 3 positions each to provide 8 levels of exposure at f.4, which I assume is the sweet spot of the lens. Also, the 'rolling shutter' effect of the CMOS can be an issue with fast motion if you are slowing it down in post. Still, for the size it's an amazing camera - I just think I'll need something larger with 'real' controls for shooting the motorcycle stuff.
Evan Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #23
Trustee

i'm in the same situation, but with 200 mph cars instead of bikes, among other things.

the h1 is the only prosumer hd camera with enough glass to do the job for me, so it's not a question of the competition, but rather, what are the options for a portable video recorder with an sdi input?

i believe that century performance is coming out with a lens extender for the front of the camera? i think that the only thing canon has is the 1.6 extender from the xl1-xl2 series of cameras.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders