H1 to HDCAM dubbing--anyone have experience? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 19th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Wrangler

H1 to HDCAM dubbing--anyone have experience?

I am doing a two camera shoot, with an F900 and an XLH1 tomorrow. The H1 footage will be bumped up to HDCAM and then all footage will be brought into an NLE (not sure which one). I'm not involved in the edit but I want to make sure that I'm not boning the editor. Wondering if there are any critical settings to make on the XLH1, such as the 24F pulldown selector (2:3 or 2:3:3:2) which will aid in a decent dub to HDCAM. Also want to make sure the TC will transfer over.

Thanks!
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Chas, the pulldown selector is available only in standard def DV mode.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Major Player

I just worked on an edit this week with HDCAM tapes for the first time.

The footage intercut F900 and XL-H1 and I was really impressed with how well it all cut together. The client who also shot it had rented the H1 and told me recently he loves how well it worked out that he's going to buy one.

Great Camera!
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 01:18 AM   #4
Trustee

Chas, if you still need it we shot some stuff today in 24f I'll take it into the office tomorrow and see how much of a PITA it is transfer to HD-CAM my guess is it's not too bad, however I don't know yet how an AVID would read it.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 02:15 AM   #5
Wrangler

I guess I'll find out over the next week or two how it worked out on that project. The shoot went well at least (thanks for your help during the prep, Nick).
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Also want to make sure the TC will transfer over.
TC will need to be converted from TC out BNC connector, most likely to RS-422 into the HDCAM deck. I haven't ever used one of these adapters before, but I have, as cheesy as it sounds, been able to transfer timecode along with the SDI via LANC to RS-422 adapter.

You will probably have to have three connections to the HDCAM deck. The TC, the SDI/component analog and the analog audio converted to XLR.

If you want the easiest thing...at the moment it's expensive but it would simplify things: http://www.convergent-design.com/
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:24 PM   #7
Trustee

The convergent box still might not support the xl-h1 yet (they've just updated the firmware). They're beta testing it right now with my camera in atlanta, if it works I'll be sure to let you guys know but before it only worked with the sony and still had trouble with canon's 24F.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 03:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the report, Nick. Seems like everybody's having trouble with 24F...other than ProspectHD/Wafian/Cineform

The LANC-RS-422 thing I have actually works fairly well for simple timecode transfer. Hopefully that Convergent box will be working with 24F soon.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 05:45 PM   #9
Trustee

Barlow, spoke to my guys in atlanta and it would seem that this newest version of the convergent box, does in fact handle the 24F ok. The only issue there seems to be a lag either way of 6 frames or so at times. I haven't seen it myself so I cna't verify it, but over all they seem pretty happy with it.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 05:11 PM   #10
Trustee

Has anybody done the transfer from XLH1 HDV 24F to HDCAM lately. I am shooting some footage tomorrow which will be bumped to HDCAM next week. Anyone come up with a smooth workflow. I know I will use the camera for playback but I figured I would ask. SDI into HDCAM Deck, TC Out of camera into Deck, Genlock In to XLH1?, Audio out of the RCA's into the deck. Sound about right?
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #11
Trustee

Well we did our transfer from HDV 24F to HDCAM today. Went pretty smoothly. Client wanted 23.98 so we had to go through a Teranex to get from 60i HDSDI to 23.98 and the audio routing needed an A to D as well. Footage looked very clean and we will see what the clients says once they edit. Camera performed like a champ in the rain with a Portabrace rain cover actually made for the JVC 100. Today was the perfect day for a Canon HDV deck since I had to carry the camera with me in another Rainstorm (We are getting a lot of rain here lately) to the Posthouse.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders