DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/66776-xl-h1-custom-presets-download-library.html)

Mike Teutsch January 17th, 2007 08:49 AM

Marty

I don't know if I'm reading your question correctly, but here's what I just found.

I renumbered the presets on my card, and added some new ones. I started with number seven, in order to come right after the six in the camera. Worked fine, with one expection. The camera will not recognize any number higher that 20. So, presets 21, 22, etc. simply don't come up, it just stops at 20. So if you want 20 presets on your card, then you need to number them 1-20.

Don't know if that helps you or not.

Mike

Soeren Mueller January 17th, 2007 12:45 PM

Also maybe a little off topic (dunno? ;o) ... but has anyone ever tried/used an MMC card in the H1's SD card slot?! I've read a number of times that SD card slots are downwarts compatible with MMC cards and I got a spare dual voltage MMC card that I'd like to use for preset storing/loading (don't own an H1 myself - yet - but going to rent one next week for a shoot) ... just wanted to ask if anybody (successfully or non-successfully) tried one of these or if the cam really can only access SD cards. Thanks a bunch!

Btw. great service providing all the nice presets here... :)

Dan Keaton January 17th, 2007 01:22 PM

Why take a chance on an expensive camera?

A 1GB SD card is very inexpensive these days and will provide more than enough storage.

Mike Teutsch January 17th, 2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton
Why take a chance on an expensive camera?

A 1GB SD card is very inexpensive these days and will provide more than enough storage.

I agree with Dan. I just bought my new 1 gig card at CCity for $19.00 after mail-in rebate.

Mike

Soeren Mueller January 17th, 2007 01:40 PM

Of course you're right... I was just curious... as I had this one around and have no use for it anymore. I don't have any other device which uses SD cards... it wasn't about cost, more about "recycling"... ;)
I wouldn't use it for anything else than preset swapping so I'd buy a 1 gig SD card, use a few bytes of it and not use it for anything else - which seemed kinda weird to me...

Dan Keaton January 17th, 2007 01:49 PM

Dear Soeren,

I recommend that you purchase a 1 GB SD card. But not for the purpose of just storing a few bytes.

The XL H1 takes very nice photos. But more importantly, you can set the camera to record the metadata with each photo taken.

This allows you to document each scene. You will record the full custom preset and camera settings. Each photo will be about 1 MB in the ".jpg" format.

Taking a photo, while recording or not, does not interfere in any way with the recording process. Documenting your shots is a great thing to do and is very easy. Just be certain the full depress the "Photo" button as there are two levels of the button.

You may never need to refer to the photos, but you will have them in case you do.

It is unlikely that you will fill up the 1GB card on any regular shoot. Expect around 900 photos in maximum quality mode.

Marty Hudzik January 17th, 2007 10:07 PM

Just got a 2gb SD card from work. Ordered it for $19.99 from newegg. Hope it works. I haven't tried any extra presets yet. I was just wondering if the camera automatically rolls over from the 6 internal to the 20 external. Sounds like it does though I will have to verify this.

Chris Hurd January 17th, 2007 11:15 PM

Yes Marty it does that automatically.

Soeren Mueller January 20th, 2007 04:07 AM

Ok thanks... I'll get a cheap SD card then.. but I'll try the MMC card too just out of curiosity :-D

Btw. is there anything else to be careful about - especially "formatting" the SD card? Or is this always the same so it doesn't matter if done with some SD card reader/writer or the cam itself?
And then I'll create an all uppercase directory "PRESETS" and put all the CPF files into it...

Dan Keaton January 20th, 2007 07:09 AM

The folder on the card must be "PRESET" not "PRESETS" and must be all capital letters.

Dan Keaton January 20th, 2007 07:40 AM

I highly recommend that you initialize your SD card in the camera.

This is preferred over initializing it in your computer as the SD card will be properly formatted. Your computer may (or may not) initialize the card in the proper format.

This is described on page 128 of the XL H1 manual (English Version).

This process will erase any and all data on your SD Card.

1. Turn on your XL H1, by setting the Power Wheel to "VCR/Play".

2. Set the Tape\Card Swith to "Card".

3. Open the Menu (by pressing the Menu Button).

4. Select "Card Operations".

5. Select "Initialize".

6. Select "Execute".

7. Select "Yes" in the confirmation screen.

8. Wait for the initialization to complete.

9. Then remove your SD card and insert it into your computers SD Card Reader's slot.

10. Then, using standard computer procedures, access the SD Card, create a new Directory named "PRESET".

(I will be happy to describe the "standard computer procedures", if requested.)

11. Then copy your Custom Presets to the "PRESET folder.

12. When the flashing light stops, you can then remove your SD Card and re-insert it into your camera.

13. You may then choose to copy up to 6 of your favorite Custom Presets into the internal memory positions of your XL H1.

14. When done, be sure to restore the "Tape\Card" switch to "Tape" for normal camera operation.

Soeren Mueller January 26th, 2007 11:33 AM

Hi again!
The shoot went flawlessly (besides a little tape problem) ... and it was absolutely no problem to use an RS-MMC card "formatted" on the PC (well it was pre-formatted anyways) - of course I meant to write "PRESET", sorry - my bad.
The "PANALOOK" preset was really great (I fine tuned it a bit according to personal taste) and provided the image tweaking I was looking for - thx a bunch especially for this! ;)
So if anyone has an (RS)MMC card lying around: it can be used as well as the SD card standard is defined as being compatible with these smaller (slower) cards....

Cheers,
-Sören

Felix Theissen February 3rd, 2007 11:03 AM

Hi,
is there any known explanation why some of the presets (the
first seven of A.C.) have 40 bytes and the rest have 39 bytes?

Felix

Piotr Wozniacki March 3rd, 2007 09:42 AM

As some of you guys know, after having tested the Canon XH-A1 for a couple of weeks I am now giving the fixed Sony V1E another chance. Putting its own problems aside, I love its vivid colours and sharp look without too much EE. Hence the question: did anyone succeede to aproximate that kind of picture with an XH preset? If so, could you please post the settings?

If somebody did try but couldn't do it, please share your experience as well...TIA!

Barry Richard March 8th, 2007 04:13 AM

has anyone attempted to make a PRESET for a Sony PD170 ?? (or PD150, VX2100, VX2000 etc)

(sorry -- but this is for the XHA1, not sure if this matters...)

Stephen Cannon April 5th, 2007 02:52 PM

Can you edit .cpf files outside the camera using a word processor, notepad , etc., or can you only do this the XL-H1 or XH-A1.

Thanks.
Stphen Cannon

Steven Dempsey April 5th, 2007 03:00 PM

Yes you can edit them using this nifty program designed specifically for the XHA1: http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Aktio...and-XH-G1.html

Felix Theissen April 5th, 2007 04:06 PM

preset editors

I have written two programs, which can edit the custom presets. One for the
XLH1 and one for the XH A1, either in a mac and a windows version. They
can roughly convert from the XLH1 presets to the XH presets and vice versa.
If you want to download and use it, itīs on your own risk. The software is
beta and provided "as is", without warranty of any kind. Since I have never
made an announcement in the XLH1 forum, I donīt know whether anyone had
tested the XLH1 Editor under realtime. (The XH Editor was first developed)
The link is:

http://www.felixtheissen.com/apps/We...and%20win.html

If someone uses or had used theese apps for the XLH1, I would appreciate
feedback, how it works, because I never had this camera for testing.

Regards - Felix

P.S. There is a XHL1 Editor which generates XLH1 presets in itīs output file
and there is a XH Editor which generates XH A1/G1 presets in itīs output file.
If you download, be sure to download the appropriate app for the camcorder.
As far as I know the XLH1 camcorder itself can not read the presets from the
XH A1/G1 camcorder and vice versa.

Mike Teutsch April 5th, 2007 04:29 PM

That really looks cool Felix! I don't have time to try it now, but I will download it.

Thanks---Mike

Stephen Cannon April 5th, 2007 06:07 PM

Thanks for the info on the cpf editors Steven and Mike

Best.

Stephen Cannon

Oleg Kalyan April 6th, 2007 12:57 AM

Great tool, thanks a lot.

Andy Lunn May 8th, 2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Richard (Post 486248)
Having trouble importing these .cpf files from the Card to the Camera.
I can copy these presets to the Smart Card from my laptop,d.

???

how do you that? how do you connect the card to your laptop?

John Richard May 9th, 2007 08:28 AM

My laptop has an SD card slot. Upon inserting the SD card, the laptop sees the card and you can work with it just as if it were a floppy disk or a USB flash memory stick, etc.

Some Epson printers also have multiple ports including an SD card port that a computer without an SD port could use to get to an SD card.

Chris Hurd May 9th, 2007 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Lunn (Post 674887)
how do you connect the card to your laptop?

With an inexpensive USB card reader -- Andy, see this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=607747

Specifically my post here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....47&postcount=3

Hope this helps,

Bill Taka May 24th, 2007 04:44 PM

Hey Chris,

I should have contacted you earlier regarding my preset (16). Could you delete that. I haven't used that in a very long time, in fact when I sent you that preset the white balance was out of whack. Now I don't use any preset at all and just use warm cards. I get a much more natural look.

Nick Hiltgen January 30th, 2008 09:53 AM

Here's the DSC Chart 1:1 balance I came up with

for 24F
gam 1
kne h
blk s
ped -4
set -4
shp-nr2 users choice
cmx n
cgn 1
cph 0
rgn 0
ggn 1
bgn 1
rgm 5
rbm 3
grm -4
gbm 4
brm -2
bgm 2

Floris van Eck February 2nd, 2008 05:15 PM

Nick, what do you mean by DSC chart 1:1? I guess you mean that it matches the DSC chart with these settings? And the KNEE you have set to HIGH?

Nick Hiltgen February 3rd, 2008 03:04 PM

Floris,

Yeah that's what I was going for. It's from the thread were someone was trying to match the JVC settings to a DSC chart. I was surprised by the different settings as well, but it was all based off of a vectorscope waveform, and the results were repeatable. I don't necessarily believe that this is the only way to get a one to one result, but it's the way I did it. I have a different setting for 60i that I need to post as well. Take a look at it I've been very happy wit the results.

Wolfgang Neun February 20th, 2008 02:03 PM

Preset for 60i

Nick,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen (Post 819517)
I have a different setting for 60i that I need to post as well.

I know you are a busy man but if you'll ever find the time to post your settings for 60i I'd be forever thankful.

Nick Hiltgen February 20th, 2008 06:07 PM

Here's what I have, please note there are a number of ways to get this similar look (I'll be doing another test in a couple of months after I send the camera inside for routine maintenance.)

GAM 2
KNE H
BLK P
PED 3
Set 4
SHp 0
HDF L
DHV -9
COR -9
NR1 0
NR2 0
CMX N
CGN -1
CPH 1
RGN 4
GGN 6
BGN 6
RGM 9
RBM 0
GRM-3
GBM 4
BRM -1
BGM 2

Hope this helps!

Wolfgang Neun February 21st, 2008 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen (Post 829896)
Hope this helps!

It surely does! Thank you very much, Nick!

Henrik Joensen April 27th, 2008 11:06 AM

Data Error when reading from SD card

Chris,

Can you help with this. After importing the CPF's into the PRESET
folder on my SD card and trying to read them from Card to Camera - I
get 'DATA ERR' showing on the screen. On my card they show up as
PRESET01.CPF PRESET16.CPF etc etc and they seem to be Unix
Executable File format.

I have no problems doing camera to card saving.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Keaton April 27th, 2008 01:25 PM

Dear Henrik,

Where did you format the SD memory card? Was it formated in your computer, or on the camera?

I believe it may work better if you format the card on your camera, then insert it into your computer and then download the custom presets in the "PRESET" folder.

Caution: If you reformat your card, you will lose everything on your card, including any pictures that you have saved. If you can, offload them first.

Henrik Joensen April 27th, 2008 04:20 PM

Dan,

No it was formatted already I believe, from the factory, I didn't format
the SD at all. Had to problems loading presets from camera to card at
all.

Dan Keaton April 27th, 2008 06:29 PM

Dear Henrik,

If you can afford to lose all the information on your SD card, I would format it in your camera.

Then I would take it to your computer and create a "PRESET" folder, if you do not already have one.

Then load the custom presets to the "PRESET" folder.

Be sure they are named exactly as provided in this thread with a ".cpf" file extension.

An example would be PRESET01.CPF

From Chris Hurd:

You've got to have a folder on that card called PRESET -- just like that, all caps, and in the root directory of the card. All of the CPF files go in that folder. If for some reason you're still having trouble with it, I've got a trick that will help you out but it's a longer process. Try creating the PRESET folder first, and if that doesn't do the job, let me know.

Henrik Joensen April 28th, 2008 03:45 PM

Dan,

Thanks alot. After reading yours and the manual, I loaded the card
and first initialized it and then hit complet init. Obviously it erased
the only PRESET named folder on there. Then again make new folder
PRESET and then I downloaded the (say) PRESET01.CPF to the desktop
and then into the folder. Tried both card and tape setting on right-hand
side of camera (A1) but still got DATA ERR showing in my viewer.

Nothing seem wrong with the card as I can take photos from the camera
no probs.

Where do I go wrong?

Appreciate any advise.

Dan Keaton April 28th, 2008 03:57 PM

Dear Henrik,

Just to be clear, did you initialize the SD memory card in the XL H1?

If so, all of the steps that you listed seem to be ok.

I welcome suggestions from others.

Chris Hurd April 28th, 2008 04:07 PM

Try another SD card to see if it duplicates the problem.

Henrik Joensen April 29th, 2008 01:13 AM

Dan,

Yes it was initialized in my A1, will try another card as Chris
suggested.

Thanks yr help.

Dan Keaton April 29th, 2008 02:32 AM

Dear Henrik,

You mentioned that you formatted the card in your A1.

I had assumed that you were using an XL H1.

The custom presets for the XL H1 and XH A1/XH G1 are different.

Please download and use the XH A1 presets from the XH A1 forum on DVInfo.net.