XLH1 24f vs. XL2 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 11th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Trustee

XLH1 24f vs. XL2 24p

I've been shooting with an XL2 for 1 1/2 years, and didn't start using 24p till recently. I'm considering getting an XLH1 (right now I have a sony FX1 to get started).
I really like the 24p image on my XL2 and was wondering if anyone has compared the two (xl2 and xlh1).
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

We did this exact test during our Texas HD Shootout, supervised by Adam Wilt. But that entire weekend was sooo extensive that it's still being compiled. Meanwhile, Pete Bauer has an XL2 and XL H1 in his arsenal. He's got a lot of stuff going on right now but maybe we can talk him into doing a quick 24F / 24P side by side comparo for us.

I'm most interested in 24F standard def compared to 24P standard def, but also 24F high def compared to 24P standard def, and 24F high def compared to 24P up-rezed to high def.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #3
Trustee

"I'm most interested in 24F standard def compared to 24P standard def, but also 24F high def compared to 24P standard def, and 24F high def compared to 24P up-rezed to high def."

That's the info I'm interested in. Hopefully Pete will post his impressions.
Bruce Yarock
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #4
Tourist

Jack of All Trades

I have an H1, XL2 and a Panasonic DVX100 and shoot 24 frame almost exclusively at this point (that's what the clients want). In doing multi-cam shoots I have found that the XL2 and H1 differ greatly in there SD 24 frame looks.

Know this is going to start getting very subjective, but what I love about the XL2 is that it manages to produce a very soft look and also delivers amazing detail at the same time. In my experience, working with all sorts of film and video cameras, this combination of factors is very rare in a video cam - and for my taste very appealing.

The H1, however, produces and image that is far sharper than the XL2 in SD 24f. While traditionally this might be considered a good thing, it does not look much like the XL2. Working with the detail settings on both cameras, and even filtering the H1, they are very, very, very tough to match at 24p/f, Haven't tried in 60i or 30p though.

I have had great success, after much trial and error, of matching the XL2 and the DVX100. Conditions must be ideal, i.e. studio setting (I find they deal with natural light very differently), but I have cut between them quite successfully in 24p.

Personally, and this is getting really subjective, I have been in awe of the XL2 since buying one in October of 2004. Never felt that way about the DVX 100.

This is after all an H1 forum, so let me mention, that I am currently working on a documentary where I have been quite pleased with the results of matching 1080/24p Sony HDW 900 footage shot in January of '05, with H1 1080i/24f footage we are shooting now. Using both SDI out recorded to HDCAM, and HDV have yielded amazing results when compared to the Sony HDW. This week I am doing a test shoot to evaluate H1 1080/25f footage when used in conjunction with the 24 frame material that we have shot, as I prepare for a four camera H1 shoot in Spain at the end of the month. Will post the results.
Craig Teper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Trustee

Craig,
Thanks for the info. Could you possibly post teh settings you used for the XL2 and DVx 100 (mathing them in 24p)? I'm going to be doing a shoot with a guy who has a DVx, and we'll both be shooting in 24p.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Meanwhile, Pete Bauer has an XL2 and XL H1 in his arsenal. He's got a lot of stuff going on right now but maybe we can talk him into doing a quick 24F / 24P side by side comparo for us.
Sorry, I'm on the road this week but maybe in a week or two can do a quick comparison of the H1 at 24F vs XL2 at 24P.

Last weekend I did shoot a hockey game in Tv mode at 60i, -3dB gain, and Auto WB with both cameras. Didn't have time to do more than capture the footage before leaving on this trip, but immediately it was obvious that the H1 handled the fairly minor exposure changes while panning around the rink much more gracefully than the XL2 did. Next time I'll definitely either shoot manual or use Exp Lock.

People have reported they've color matched the XL2 and the XL H1. Without having done proper checks, I do get the impression that they do have fairly different color rendition and would take some tweaking to match, though.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #7
Tourist

Settings

Bruce,

In the midst of (thankfully) quite a bit of shooting and editing over the next few weeks. May not get a chance to dig through those menus and jot down those settings any time soon. I'll see what I can do.

-Craig
Craig Teper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders