DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   a clip with 14x lens all manual (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/67587-clip-14x-lens-all-manual.html)

Oleg Kalyan May 17th, 2006 02:31 PM

a clip with 14x lens all manual

Hello everyone, I have a clip with 14x lens all manual, with lots of people with great low DOF, need some hosting, can someone offer to host it?
IT's 50 mb, 2min, clilp. Regards, Oleg

Oleg Kalyan May 17th, 2006 02:33 PM

Just to add, it has a famous Polish actor, Daniel Olbrihskiy and Sri Sri Ravi Shankar in a scene!

Steven Dempsey May 17th, 2006 04:19 PM

If you look at the thread above yours, you will see that Chris Hurd is offering free hosting: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=67124

Oleg Kalyan May 17th, 2006 10:34 PM

Thank you, I emailed to Chris, so far no answer. Regards, Oleg.

Steven Dempsey May 17th, 2006 10:41 PM

He's on the road....he'll be in touch when available.

Chris Hurd May 17th, 2006 11:03 PM

I'm at HD Expo in Chicago... trying to get through email right now. Stand by Olg (thanks Steven).

Oleg Kalyan May 18th, 2006 03:59 AM

Chris, thank you, will stand by...

Chris Hurd May 18th, 2006 09:31 AM

Oleg, you've got mail!

Chris Hurd May 18th, 2006 10:18 AM

Oleg's XL H1 clip is located at http://media.dvinfo.net/xlh1/passengertesth264.movx

Download to your local drive and re-name the file extension from ".movx" to ".mov" -- enjoy,

Steven Dempsey May 18th, 2006 10:42 AM

Very nice compositions. What's with the frame blending? Is all of this slow motion? It's hard to tell. The frame blending is very distracting.

Oleg Kalyan May 18th, 2006 11:22 AM

Chris, thank you for uploading my clip.

I actually was a DP, shooting on Arri BL35 for a Feature film scene in Bad Antogast, Germany. I took my H1 with me and did some testing from airplane to train station to a village.
14x lens was wide open almost on all shots.
I was very pleased, from the first shot in the airplane, it looks just great, very much filmlike I'd say! Parts of the clip slo-mo 20 to 50 %, parts where it's not staged, I also did it, to create certain overall mood. It was all shot in 25F, various shutter speeds, from 50 to 750, ND 8 filter on sunny shots...14x lens don't have ND built it. It was black stretch, low knee, cine2, I can post CF preset later, it was all custom, after experimenting with it..
Regards to everyone. Oleg.

Oleg Kalyan May 18th, 2006 11:30 AM

I am sorry to misspell Daniel name, my apologies, his name it
Daniel Olbrychski. A great man, was in 5 films that were Oscar nominated!

Greg Boston May 18th, 2006 11:31 AM

Nice clip! I love the look. Definitely post the preset when you have a chance.

-gb-

Oleg Kalyan May 18th, 2006 11:50 AM

One more thing, everything not color corrected in post! It was all shot that way! Oleg.

Steven Dempsey May 18th, 2006 11:52 AM

The frame blending seems to be inherent in all the clips slow motion or not. Would you mind posting your workflow to create this file?

Oleg Kalyan May 18th, 2006 02:27 PM

Steve, Thanks for feedback. Not sure what you mean by frame blending. Do you see it in dialogue scene?

Shot HDV 25F, captured HDV 1080 50i, edited in FCP 5.1 changing speed 50 to 70 %, quick editing, it took me probably 3 hours to put it all together, plus encoding H264 another 20 min. (I probably should do slow mo in Shake, by building extra frames. Had never done that, will do probably next week)

Output via Compresor to H264 custom size, there is a Frame reodering option, not sure what it means, and do not remember whether I chose it.

Tony Davies-Patrick May 18th, 2006 03:21 PM

Some decent work in that clip, Oleg. What preset settings did you use on the H1? I did notice some overlapping clips and slowing of soundtrack in parts, but this may have just been the compression and download.
I liked the close-up face footage - very nice stuff. Have you also tried the 16X MF?

Oleg Kalyan May 18th, 2006 11:50 PM

Tony, thanks, should be no overlapping clips or slowing of soundtrack.

I have not used 16x lens, couldn't find it in Moscow. Got 14x, and really liked it. I assume difference is built in ND filter in 16, don't know about pic quality, I actually feel better to control exposure via external ND and other filters, getting exposure measurements through light meter, substracting Filter factor, etc, makes me feel more like a photographer. Onother note, I like manual lens for the reason of focusing, no matter what people here saying about veiwfinder if you use manual lens it's not too much a factor anymore, you go back a forth and lots of times go with the feel of focusing ring, just checkingpoints of no focus, can't do it with stock lens, motor...

I will post CF settings later, have to pull my camera, also I really think using light meter really helps, exposure change of a stop eigther way changes the quality of the picture, (talking about latitude).

Regards, Oleg.

Tony Davies-Patrick May 19th, 2006 12:56 AM

The only really soft focus that I noticed was the shot of the very last man's face shown near the end of the clip. The first half of the clip tended to rise and fall gently in the tighter shots and this is where the IS of the 20X lens would have helped. I agree with you about the manual focus control of the image, and although AF helps in some circumstances there is nothing quite like having full control via a full manual lens.

The 14X MF lens is a really nice optic, but I much prefer the 16X MF lens.

I'm off today to France for 3-weeks of filming, so will view your CF settings when I return. Sadly, I havn't yet bought a new 16X Manual Servo lens to replace the one that was stolen in Spain a few weeks ago, so I'll have to do most of the filming with the 20X IS lens.

Oleg Kalyan May 19th, 2006 04:25 AM

My CP prefs, on this session Hope it helps

Gam:Cine2
Kne:Low
Blk:s
Ped:-1
Set:-1
Shp:0
Hdf:m
Dhv:0
Cor:2
Nr1:0
Nr2:m
Cmx:Normal
Cgn:1
Cph:-2
Rgn:1
Ggn:2
Bgn:1
Rgm:1
Rbm:2
Grm:0
Gbm:0
Brm:0
Bgm:0

Tony Davies-Patrick May 19th, 2006 04:54 AM

Thanks for that Oleg - I haven't got access at the moment to a H1 to try your presets, so I'll keep it for reference for the future. I did try to input similar presets into the XL2 (not the same, I know) but found it slightly too strongly biased towards green on some subjects for my liking, especially if the main background is white or light blue.

Oleg Kalyan May 19th, 2006 05:17 AM

To me it's a bit orangy, on highlights on difectly lit subjects, I'd try to get less of that, on the other hand it it looks warm and saturated. Not too many films have that look lately, one that comes to mind is Lara Croft.
I've checked recent trailers, it it seems that producers and DPs go more for pale magentish look on skin, similar to original settings of H1.

Tony Davies-Patrick May 19th, 2006 06:48 AM

Yes, I agree that the actual clip looks warm on faces, although I prefer this to having too cool colours. The very slight green that I mentioned with the same settings on the XL2 probably look different on the H1 anyway,
but even then I doubt that it really matters unless it was placed beside footage set at neutral tone.

Most outdoor nature subjects and landscapes tend to look better with colours more vibrant, but with humans, especially facial skin tones, it is often important to have a more neutral setting - although I'm not keen on seeing everyone walking around like pale white or pink Victorians, as if they've never seen the sun or stepped outside the door...

I suppose, like most things, it all boils down to personal taste and what you are happy with.

Tony Davies-Patrick May 19th, 2006 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick

I'm off today to France for 3-weeks of filming...

A bad storm is raging in northern France tonight...damn...I'd better not pay the ferry man until it reaches the other side!

Oleg Kalyan May 19th, 2006 01:41 PM

HOPe you'll be safe. Oleg.

Chris Hurd May 20th, 2006 03:09 PM

Oleg, I would like to add your settings to our Custom Preset Download library. Do you have a name that you prefer for this preset? It can be eight letters long. I thought about calling it "OlegWarm" but of course its name is really up to you. Thanks in advance,

Oleg Kalyan May 20th, 2006 03:44 PM

Chris, sure, OlegWarm, sounds great, I take it as a compliment!
Just to add I had a skin feature setup on medium.

Chris Hurd May 20th, 2006 04:10 PM

Thank you Oleg, I will add your preset and notes to our download library.

Chris Hurd May 21st, 2006 01:09 PM

Oleg's CPF file is now available for downloading at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....20&postcount=7

John Hampton February 1st, 2007 12:25 AM

Strange zebra-ish look with this cp

Oleg, I tried your preset in Venice Beach, CA today and was impressed with the footage in the lower light conditions. However, all of the sunlit footage has a flickering zebra-ish sparkle to it that attaches to any complicated detail in the shot.

What feature of the preset accounts for this and why would it be used if it makes all lines and detail sparkle.

John Hampton

Adrian Paul Spiteri February 10th, 2007 04:47 PM

What is the music called ?

Oleg Kalyan February 13th, 2007 05:33 PM

Hello, the music is Thomas Newman's "Any Other Name"

Oleg Kalyan February 13th, 2007 05:34 PM

John Hampton, sorry, I do not know what causes the sparkle to appear.

Ron Lemming February 15th, 2007 09:21 PM

Beautiful footage. I noticed that the shot at 0:45 looks fairly wide and the background is still slightly out of focus. How did you achieve that? Were you just standing close enough to the man and the background happened to be very far away?

Oleg Kalyan February 16th, 2007 03:26 AM

That's the case, keeping BG far away, also shoot wide open 1.6-1.7 in entire range.
Oleg:)

Adrian Paul Spiteri February 16th, 2007 07:22 AM

Are you sure? I cannot find it anywhere. Can you post a link of the album on amazon.com ?

Oleg Kalyan February 16th, 2007 10:33 AM

http://www.last.fm/music/Thomas+Newm...ican+Beauty%29

THe link

Andy Lunn February 26th, 2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan
It was black stretch, low knee, cine2,

daft question im sure but what are , do/these?

Dan Keaton February 26th, 2007 06:58 PM

These are custom presets which is the secret of getting great footage from the XL H1. Do a search for custom presets.

Dave Gosley June 30th, 2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 484380)
Oleg's XL H1 clip is located at http://media.dvinfo.net/xlh1/passengertesth264.movx

Download to your local drive and re-name the file extension from ".movx" to ".mov" -- enjoy,

Has this clip been moved please, all I get is a screen full of code...
Thanks
Dave