24F and 25F in the one camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:35 AM   #1
Trustee

24F and 25F in the one camera?

I've asked to at least 4 Canon people at NAB and read the latest brochure and I'm still far from 100% certain I have the right answer.

According to the latest Canon brochure it would seem that Canon are building only one camera that can be converted to add PAL frame rates. Question is, in the process do we loose the 'NTSC' frame rates of 24F and 30F, if not there doesn't seem to be enough switch positions!

I know this came up a long time ago but I don't recall a definative answer and judging by Canons confusion at NAB I'm just a tad hesitant about commiting the funds without knowing exactly what we'll end up with.

I'm hoping someone who's had this conversion done can say for certain just what they ended up with.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:08 AM   #2
Major Player

While I haven't seen it first hand, this is how it works according to a ZGC-rep:

- If you buy in NTSC-land, you get only 60i, 30f and 24f
- If you buy in PAL-land, you get only 50i and 25f
- If you do the upgrade with either version you get 50i, 60i, 24f, 25f and 30f

Apparently, you need to switch between the NTSC and PAL-modes with a menu function after upgrading. But again, this is hear-say. Does anyone have hands-on experience?

HTH,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, I have hands-on experience. The upgrade gives you a new menu item in the camera called 50i/60i Sel. under the Signal Setup menu. That's where you select either 50i or 60i. Of course when you're in 50i that means the F1 and F2 frame rate switch positions are both going to point to 25F. Then when you select 60i in the menu, the frame rate switch positions are F1 for 30F and F2 for 24F. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:48 PM   #4
Trustee

Chris,
thank you SO much.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

No sweat Bob. Say hello to Rob Hirst for me if you're ever knocking around in Chatswood.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:36 PM   #6
Trustee

Can't say that I know Rob but I'm only a stones throw from Chatswood.

Just one other question to clear up the last bit of confussion.

Am I right in guessing that in reality Canon are only building one camera to which an option card can be added to give the PAL frame rates?

By that I mean is there a PAL only variant, if so do we end up with the same thing buying that and fitting the option board compared to buying the NSTC version and fitting the option board.

Sorry for so many questions but Canon down here are just totally muddled.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:25 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Yes there is only one build. I'm not sure if Canon adds an option board or simply updates the internal firmware. I guess we don't "need to know." Point is that some of the batches are 50i first and head for those countries. Other batches are 60i first and go to North America. Still only one camera though.

Don't know Rob Hirst? Then please wave to Jim Moginie for me if you see him out and about.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders