Batteries for H1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 1st, 2006, 09:28 PM   #16
Trustee

Chris,
I assume you can use those new batteries with the xl2 also, right? How much time could I get out of one with my fu 1000 viewfinder. I get less than 2 hours out of the previous big xl2 battery.
Bruce S. Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:18 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Bruce, yes you sure can use the new 950G and 970G on the XL2. Endurance should be even better since the XL2 power draw is lower than the XL H1. I don't know how much time you can get with the monochrome CRT EVF (maybe you can measure it for us and report back). Should be well over three hours easily.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:13 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert
Charles,

Never mind the batts, how does the camera handle it? Do you have an insulated cover? If so it could also fit over the 910 Charger/Holder.
both the fx1 and the h1 we used on an event handled it very well. the camera didn't seem to notic ethe cold at all.

i didn't have a cover.
Charles Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #19
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders
Also, I decided against the dual battery charger. When I found out that it only charged one battery at a time, I decided to save the cash and just buy an additional single battery charger. Between the one that came with the camera and the 2nd one, I'm set.
FYI, our new 4 plate charger would charge all of them at the same time in about 4 hours.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I have the IDX battery adaptor which fits on the accessory plate on the back of the H1. We already had an IDX set from a DSR-390 we used to own so it made sense. The IDXs are 14.4V so I presume the adaptor either knocks this down to the same voltage as the "proper" batteries or the H1 just doesn't mind. In any case, the IDX batteries are, well, phenomenal. I've had the camera now for about five days, shot on it every day for some time, and haven't changed it yet :)

Having said that the IDX kit (charger + two batteries) was about £1500 in the first place, and the adaptor's another £150 so I'm sure it is far more economical to get the Canon batteries. Just wanted to point out the option for anyone reading this post who already uses IDX batteries.
Ed Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #21
Major Player

Hello Ed,
This is discussed in another thread already but there is also the advantage with a 12-14.4 V battery: you could get power to an onboard light and/or wireless receiver. The Canon battery has a tremendous amount of power for its size and weight but I lack a 12 V output. So I would go the Anton Bauer mount or V-mount way too. This also gives the set a better balance. Thinking about to put the Anton Bauer Titan 70 charger/power supply between the adapter and the battery for even better balance. I also would like to get a Zylight LED light to put on the accessory shoe. Anyone out here who have tried it?
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #22
Major Player

Be sure to buy the extra batt charger. I was on an indie feature recently and although we had two batts we were often running off the batt charger as a power source -- and to those of yuou who don't know - IT CAN'T CHARGE AND PROVIDE POWER SIMULTANEOUSLY.

So it's all a bit nerve racking if you can't have one battery at least permanently on a charger.

Best

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders