16x manual lens pdf file? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 20th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #1
Trustee

16x manual lens pdf file?

Can anyone point me to a .pdf file with the specs of the 16x manual lens? I know it was posted here and on Canons site somewhere but I cannot find it.

It seems that the minimum focal distance is less on the XL-H1. I have to switch to macro mode when objects or people get to within 3-4 feet of the camera at it's widest setting. When I used this lens on my XL2 it seemed that it was more like 2 feet before I had to go macro.

anyone?

Also maybe someone can enlighten me as to wether there are more than one version of the 16x lens out there. The one I have now seems to have a slightly different backfocus type adjustment from my old one. Did Canon modify this? Also when I tighten the screw on the Back focus too tight then the macro button doesn't easily release.....that never happened before so I am wondering if I have an older model or something.

Thanks!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:58 AM   #2
Trustee

So is there no longer an on-line .pdf of the 16x manual lens? Someone? Anyone? Bueller?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Wrangler

I couldn't find it on the newly reorganized Canon site, either. I have downloaded it in the past; will try to email it to you.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:55 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Pete! I got it but it is less helpful than I thought. It lists a minimum focusing distance of 5cm with the wide macro. I am trying to see at what distance I need to switch to macro. Can anyone check this and give me their rough results.

Here is what I need to know.

When zoomed all the way out to the widest setting, how close can I get to a subject before having to switch the lens over into macro range? I ask because with my old XL2 I swear I could get within 1.5 to 2 feet of subject and still be in focus. If I went closer than that I need to manage focus with the macro ring.

However my early experience with the XL-H1 and this lens seems like I need to engage the macro sooner. Like maybe at 3 feet or so. I shot some subjects with the lens at it's widest and got up close (3-4 ft range) and I come to find later that the footage is slightly out of focus. A big selling point to me on the 16x Manual is being able to turn the focus ring to infinity and zoom all the way out and have confidence that all is in focus up to the few feet in front of the lens, regardless of how low res the EVF appears.

I adjusted the backfocus manually as I always did with the XL2. I am wondering if I was off on this if it could screw something up.

thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders