External monitor for H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 20th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Tourist

External monitor for H1

Hi,

I just got my XL H1 and I'm looking for external monitor. Do you use any external monitor and how did you manage to hook it to your H1? To flash shoe? External powerpack is not problem, but it makes more weight.

I did try Swit "HD-SDI" monitor but picture quality was not as high as price, about 2500 euros (USD3000). That's too much.

Harri
Harri Raisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #2
New Boot

External Monitors

Some choice depeding on budget:

1. Standard def, Nebtek 50 and 58LI. Has power adapter for camera battery.
2. High def, Marshall V-R70P-HDA
Ernesto Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #3
Starway Pictures

Marshall is the best. But steep.

I have the Nebtek. It's good for framing. But useless for color, exposure and critical focus. It uses very old LCD technology. Very narrow field of view.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #4
Major Player

See http://web.mac.com/holyzoo1/iWeb/Sit...3E802A339.html

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:36 AM   #5
Tourist

Nebtek limitations

Hi Robert,

I can't afford the Marshall but I was thinking of either buying the FU-1000 or the Nebtek. I'm disappointed to hear the Nentek's so limited. Is it really only useful for framing? I'd also been looking at these SWIT models mentioned below... twice the price of the Nebtek but I'm not sure it's twice as good!

"Swit 8” TFT - the model is the S-1080BS. This accepts a V-Lock battery and has Composite/YC and Component inputs. They also have the Swit S-1080F which is the same monitor but has SDI and has a Sony NPF DV Style battery mount."

Has anybody used them or know if they are any good? Any other suggestions would be appreciated before I part with my meagre funds.

Cheers.
Cameron Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Hello to all,
I haven't tried this product or know anyone who has, but the Ikan v7000 is a very affordable on-camera LCD. It is lacking in vertical resolution (250 lines, with 1440 horizontal) and only has standard AV cable inputs. At list price of $349 it seems like it could be a viable affordable solution.
Interested to hear if anyone has any experience with these folks....
http://www.ikancorp.com/v7000.htm

Jason Price
TapeWorks Texas inc.
Jason Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM   #7
Starway Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Fraser
Hi Robert,

I can't afford the Marshall but I was thinking of either buying the FU-1000 or the Nebtek. I'm disappointed to hear the Nentek's so limited. Is it really only useful for framing? I'd also been looking at these SWIT models mentioned below... twice the price of the Nebtek but I'm not sure it's twice as good!

"Swit 8” TFT - the model is the S-1080BS. This accepts a V-Lock battery and has Composite/YC and Component inputs. They also have the Swit S-1080F which is the same monitor but has SDI and has a Sony NPF DV Style battery mount."

Has anybody used them or know if they are any good? Any other suggestions would be appreciated before I part with my meagre funds.

Cheers.
The Nebtek was the included in my overall camera package and it's the only accessory I've purchased for the H1 that I was thoroughly disappointed in. Basically, it's just a substitute for the lack of a flipout LCD.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

You could try the Panasonic BT-LH1700E 17" LCD monitor which runs off 12V, comes with whatever battery mount you want, and has a built in waveform monitor. It's about £2800. There is also the BT-LH900A which is 8.4" and about the right size to mount on the camera itself, whereas with the 17" you're going to want to put it on a seperate stand. Both take an HD-SDI signal from the H1 and have a fantastic picture quality, more than good enough to set exposure, colour and focus in my opinion. The smaller monitor is more expensive though, at about £3200.
Ed Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM   #9
Starway Pictures

On our last two shoots we used the HD-SDI output to a Blackmagic HDLink converter to a 23" Cinema Display. Worked fabulously.

The Panasonic has the advantage of having HD-SDI inputs AND waveform monitors. Nice. I just wish they offered a larger screen.
Old June 24th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #10
Regular Crew

There is also the BT-LH2600,a 26 incher.
Ed Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #11
NEBTEK

Hi Guys,

Rob from NEBTEK here... I thought I'd better clarify a few things for everyone out there.

If your shooting in HD then you need an HD monitor to use with your camera. This is one of those areas where you can not afford to go cheap. An HD signal output into a composite only monitor will always look like hell... that's the sad truth of it. If you were to send a composite signal to an HD monitor you would see every single flaw in the image (and there would be many)... it is the same principal only in reverse.

Composite only monitors have been the standard for years and there are some extremely good ones out there. The Panasonic TC7-WMS1 still offered the sharpest and brightest composite only signal I have ever seen on a unit under $3000, but I still would not use it with my Sony Z1U. Our original line of monitors were not meant to be used with HD cameras (they still aren't). If anyone called and asked if they could pull focus or color from one of our units, I would tell them absolutely not. Our monitors were designed for framing and composition only.

Fortunately I did find a unit that I have come to rely on for focus... About 18 months ago we bought a Marshall V-R-70P-HDA as a substitiute for the viewfinder on our Sony Z1U camera. I was immediately impressed by the sharpness, color and extremely low price for an HD LCD. When we checked into the specifications of the unit, we discovered that it only drew 600Ma at 12V. I immediately had one of our technicians remove the IDX battery plate (because I didn't want the extra expense of buying all new batteries and a charger), and wire it with one of our Lithium-ion battery adapters. My Sony NPF-970 batteries are now powering the unit for 4-5 hours depending on the conditions.

Once our modification was seen on set, orders started pouring in form everywhere. We are capable of modifying the Marshall V-R-70P-HDA with either Canon, Sony, JVC or Panasonic lithium-ion battery adapters. The modification allows the end user to swap back and forth between the IDX plates and the NEBTEK Li-battery plate of their choice.

This modification has made my life much easier on set and I didn't have to shell out the $3500 - $4500 for the Astro, Bolland or Panasonic HD onboard camera monitors. You can check out the modification at the following link...
http://www.nebtek.com./proddetail.ph...lVR-70P-HDA-LI

I hope this helps all the techs looking for a low cost HD solution for their cameras.

All the Best,
Rob DuBree

NEBTEK
Old July 10th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #12
Disjecta

I use a Marshall V-R70P-HDSDI 7 Inch LCD Monitor for HD/SD Field Production and it's really fabulous. It's also pricey, I paid about $1750 for it but it has helped me tremendously in the field. I agree that using a non-hd monitor is all but useless in judging critical focus and other issues.

Some people think that upgrading to HD is only about getting a new camera but unfortunately that's just not the case if you want to get the best footage possible.
Old July 10th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #13
Major Player

Bad link, Rob. KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #14
NEBTEK

Sorry Guys,
Don't know what happened there... here's the link again.
http://www.nebtek.com./proddetail.ph...rshallVR70PHDA
also for the SD version
Old July 10th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #15
NEBTEK

Sorry Guys,
Don't know what happened there... here's the link again.
http://www.nebtek.com./proddetail.ph...rshallVR70PHDA
also for the SD version

For some reason it's cutting the URL, but if you got to our website (under LCD Monitor Sales) you'll find the Marshall section.
http://www.nebtek.com./products.php?cat=27

Hope this works,
-Rob

NEBTEK

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders