More than one test bar to H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 11th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #1
Tourist

More than one test bar to H1

Hi,

I got idea that I could put more test bars as jpg images to memory card. Then just play them back and adjust monitor and EVF.

H1 didn't playback my images. Does anybody know how to prepare external images so H1 could play them back? I did take pic with H1 and in Photoshop I did put test pic top of it, flatten image and save. That didn't work.

Harri
Harri Raisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The manual states that images created on a computer, or other source, will not work in the XL-H1.

Sorry, but I do not know what format to use to create an image that will work.
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Raisa
Hi,

I got idea that I could put more test bars as jpg images to memory card. Then just play them back and adjust monitor and EVF.

H1 didn't playback my images. Does anybody know how to prepare external images so H1 could play them back? I did take pic with H1 and in Photoshop I did put test pic top of it, flatten image and save. That didn't work.

Harri
For optimal calibration, you would want to use the built in color bar generator from the camera. Using a picture created externally won't necessarily be accurate in terms of color rendition or luminance level.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Agreed.

There is no telling how the camera would playback the image and if the images would be produced correctly. I would stick with color bars in the camera and take your calibration cards with you in the field (if your really worried about being that exact every time)
Depends on your shooting style.
Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Critchlow
Agreed.

There is no telling how the camera would playback the image and if the images would be produced correctly. I would stick with color bars in the camera and take your calibration cards with you in the field (if your really worried about being that exact every time)
Depends on your shooting style.
Shame then that the H1 doesn't output SMPTE bars - as the rubbish bars it does output are pretty much next to useless for setting brightness and contrast as they lack the PLUGE bars. I will never understand why camera manufacturers bother putting the rubbish sort of bars in at all.
Ed Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #6
Trustee

Ed,
I think you are experiencing a difference between the Pal and NTSC version of the camera. The NTSC H1 manual states the camera produces Smpte bars. What does the Pal manual state? Full field bars (the kind you seem to have) are more common as a european standard from the late 80's and early nineties. As an example I used to have NTSC Philips BTS cameras and the early versions had full field bars even though NTSC Sony and Ikegami cameras came with Smpte bars for the US. Our complaints were similar to yours. Some cameras also give you your choice of bars to be displayed.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ed,

I'm not sure what your souce is but the H1 DOES output SMTPE bars with PLUGE.

Manual quote "You can generate and record SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers) color bars." - pg 93

It also produces a 1k tone with -12 or -20db selectable.

I just powered mine up with a monitor, PLUGE is easily visable.

--edit--
sorry for the repeat, i think Daniel & I were typing at the same time.
Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

No worries Brian, as it is well worth stating two or even three times:

The XL H1 does in fact output SMPTE color bars.

Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Sorry to contradict such esteemed company, but I am sitting with my H1 right now and all I get are 75% EBU bars.

As mine's a PAL H1 I can only assume that Canon have very irritatingly chosen to replace the SMPTE bars with the EBU for the European region.

Any ideas if there is some secret menu that will get me SMPTE back?

Actually - could this be an issue with SMPTE licensing outside the US?

Cheers,

Ed
Ed Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Ed,

Here's how it works. On the XL H1, the color bars go with the region. If you own the North American / NTSC version then you have SMPTE color bars. If you own the Eurpean / PAL version then you have EBU color bars. If you purchase the 50i/60i system upgrade from Canon, then you have both versions. In other words if you have a 60i camera and you want the EBU color bars then you have to buy the 50i upgrade.

Same thing for 50i camera owners. If you want the SMPTE color bars then you have to buy the 60i upgrade. Even then, the SMPTE color bars are visible only when recording in 60i mode (and EBU color bars only when recording in 50i mode). Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders