help me renew my faith in the H1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 1st, 2006, 04:15 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Marty I don't think you should sell your H1. But if you decide to sell, then consider this.

Take the amount you paid for the H1, let's say it was $9000. Subtract from that, the amount you've made with your H1 (after all it is a business tool). Let's say you've made $4000 with it. The remainder is how much you're still in the hole for the camera. In this case $5000. So if you sell your H1, any amount you get over $5000 puts you ahead. For example if you sell it for $7000, then you've made back all of the money you spent on the H1 in the first place plus you've made an extra $2000. So while you're waiting for these new XH camcorders to come out, put your H1 to work and make it pay for itself. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 04:52 PM   #17
Trustee

I like what Chris says best. The H1 should pay for itself and then the rest is gravy. How about looking at it from that angle instead. The H1 only borrowed your money until it can pay for itself.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 05:26 PM   #18
Major Player

The biggest problem with new millinium technology is not knowing when or what to buy... I waited for a year before getting a G5 Quad, finally felt a few months ago that I couldn't live without it any longer - and don't regret the purchase even if a faster MacIntel comes out tomorrow...

We all knew/suspected that a G1 version would arrive eventually, to tell the truth I'm surprised it took so long.. And people started speculating about an XL H1s or XL H2 before the H1 was even delivered...

Those of us who chose to wade ahead are always going to lose a few bucks in the process... But, as has been pointed out, the tool isn't making money, or movies, if we are constantly waiting for the next version..

Hell, I'm still not sure about the viability of HDV - but having the camera now means I'm learning and adapting to the format now - and have nearly completed an extremely complex 30 minute film - I'm way ahead of those who are being cautious.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:12 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
What? My firestore wasn't enough??

:)

Honestly it is because of stretching myself so thin buying the XL-H1 that I needed to part with the Firestore in the first place.....Had to get some of my credit card debt eliminated so I could close on our new house. I just closed on it Friday so now I can start spending like a fiend again!
Hey Marty,

The purchase of your firestore was just step one in getting an XLH1. I look at this a little differently than you though. I do want an XLH1, but instead of replacing it with the new model, I will save and scrimp to get enough to buy the little camera as a "B" camera. It was alwsays a concern to me that I would switch to the XLH1 and not have a second HD camera to mix in. Would be tough to mix in XL2 footage and have it come out good. I have three SD capable cameras now, but I see that number shrinking really soon now.

Go make some money Marty, and I'm glad you can open your wallet again! Have fun!

Mike
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:43 AM   #20
Major Player

I find that newer camcorders don't depreciate that fast. I am always looking at Ebay for a deal on a newer HDV camcorder and they often go for more used than you could get one for brand new. It's crazy. So I wouldn't expect that you would lose all that much selling it, there will even be quite a bit of warranty left on it no?
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I'm going to make the dive into HD once Canon sells the XLH body-only. I currently have the Canon XL2, and I feel the same way Marty does - it's missing something. From a standard-def POV, it's a dream camera: it has the form factor, the manual controls, the moddability - the works! However, the camera's picture quality is somewhat disappointing...to me, it looks like ultra-sharp video, and nothing more. Even though the DVX100B is missing many of the features I love in the XL2, the picture quality continues to impress me.

I just ordered the LetusXL Enhanced today because I want to improve on some of the XL2's shortcomings (opinion). What I'm pulling for is an XLH body-only release so I can use the adapter-only with that. When did Canon start selling the body-only kits for the XL2? Perhaps now with the 6x HD lens release, and a hopeful XLH1s or XLH2 announcement in the months to come, maybe they'll start doing so. Until then, I'm just going to go on shooting happily with the XL2 - like mentioned earlier, "the tool isn't making money, or movies, if we are constantly waiting for the next version..."
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM   #22
Major Player

Camera is one thing, but the lenses makes the whole difference - thats what I think anyway. Fixed lenses can not ever compete with interchangeable lenses.
And today it's only two affordable HDV cams with that feature (I think).
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM   #23
Go Go Godzilla

More faith

I haven't read this entire post, but if you're looking for more justification for purchasing the H1 Marty, then take a look at my post that I'm putting up on the HVX forum.

I too, am making the jump from HVX to H1 - and I DON'T want the pro-sumer version that they just released, I want the interchangeable lens body!
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #24
Major Player

I just ordered the LetusXL Enhanced today because I want to improve on some of the XL2's shortcomings (opinion). What I'm pulling for is an XLH body-only release so I can use the adapter-only with that. When did Canon start selling the body-only kits for the XL2? Perhaps now with the 6x HD lens release, and a hopeful XLH1s or XLH2 announcement in the months to come, maybe they'll start doing so. Until then, I'm just going to go on shooting happily with the XL2 - like mentioned earlier, "the tool isn't making money, or movies, if we are constantly waiting for the next version..."[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. Waiting for a body only XLHD...
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #25
Regular Crew

The interchangeable lens system is crucial, I wouldn't trade that for anything.

And remember, when you're shooting, if your camera looks "consumer-ish" to your client, the less you look professional.
R.W. Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Goyette
AND I think canon might be trying to say something when they label the lens on the new cameras (not to mention the new wide angle) as an L series model..."Canon reserves the L-Series designation for its highest quality photographic lenses"...a mark notably missing from the stock XL 20x.
This caught my eye as I read back over the old posts in this thread. I well remember the promotional materials for the XL-H1 using the very phrase "Canon reserves..." or something darn close to it. But my memory often doesn't serve as well as it used to so I looked at the brochures (new and old) and not a mention of L - series to be found. Yet the stock lens for the XL - H1 does have the red stripe which designates it as an L- series lens. Any insights?
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders