DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL H1 Firmware Upgrade Details (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/73850-xl-h1-firmware-upgrade-details.html)

John Richard August 18th, 2006 11:01 AM

XL H1 Firmware Upgrade Details

Had the H1 serviced at Canon factory service center (damaged HDV/DV port) and in the process the service report stated they performed a Firmware Update.

Yesterday, when I tried the automatic rack focus (set a focus point>then focus on a different point>then push focus button to return to prior set focus point), the speed of the rack focus now appeared to be much slower and actually usable. Before, even when set on the lowest (slowest) speed for auto focus in the menu, the rack focus was just almost instantaneous. Now on the low setting, the rack focus is very aesthetic and slower.

Is it just my imagination, or can anyone else confirm this. I imagine very few have had the H1's firmware updated at this early date. Maybe Chris can get info as to what the "Firmware Update" has improved?

Dan Keaton August 18th, 2006 02:25 PM

Dear John,

This is great news!

A. J. deLange August 18th, 2006 02:39 PM

I can't confirm it but this is just exactly the sort of thing that firmware updating allows. Enough people complain about the rack speed so they redo the firmware to slow it down. Or they find a better autofocus algorithm that reduces hunting. The possibilities are endless. The only case in which you would not want to be able to upgrade firmware is the one in which you are absolutely certain all design parameters are optimum when the camera leaves the factory. While this is a thing to be devoutly wished it is not the real world.

It is entirely feasible to let the user do firmware upgrades himself. He downloads a small application which handles the communication between his computer and the camera and executes it while computer and camera are interconnected. The application checks the status of the camera, downloads the new software, checks that the download was successful and then puts the communication port (Firewire) back into normal mode. I have had several pieces of hardware (scanners, audio interface) that are supported in this way. Or you can make it impossible for the user to do this himself (special serial port hidden in the bowels of the device, access keys...). Which way will Canon go?

Jason Price August 18th, 2006 02:57 PM

Upgrade

Hello to all!

I have been on and off the phone all day trying to get the correct answers concerning this upgrade. After talking to 3 different Canon tech. reps. and 2 different Canon sales reps. (who all gave me the same answer BTW) I think I have a clue.

According to Canon the upgrade has nothing to do with the automatic rack focus. They were all rather surprised that this function improved after being upgraded.

The upgrade improves 2 different aspects of the camera. It's primary function is to improve the time code output. Apparently there have been some problems when some of the first release cameras try to communicate between each other.

Second, it will improve your iris control. They didn't have too much information on this, so take it as it is.

In order to find out if your XLH1 will need this upgrade you would need to call Canon Customer Service at 949-753-4200 if you are on the West Coast and 732-521-7007 if you are on the East Coast. Have your serial number ready as that is the determining factor for this upgrade!

Good luck out there and happy shooting!

Jason Price
AV Equipment Sales
TapeWorks Texas, Inc.
866.827.3489 toll free
713.688.2214 direct
www.TapeWorksTexas.com
Jason@TapeWorksTexas.com

Chris Hurd August 18th, 2006 03:25 PM

Good deal -- thanks for the detective work, Jason -- much appreciated! This thread is now a "sticky."

Dan Keaton August 18th, 2006 03:49 PM

Dear Jason,

I appreciate the first class service you provide to all of your customers and to the XL H1 family as a whole.

John Richard August 18th, 2006 04:08 PM

I guess the only other ways to confirm what I am perceiving as a slow down of the low setting for the rack focus are:

- find someone else who has used the auto rack focus on low before and after a firmware upgrade to confirm or deny any change in slower speed.

- get together with someone without the firmware upgrade and compare the low auto rack focus speed of my H1 with the frimware upgrade.

I am certain the auto rack focus in the low menu setting is definitely slower to the point that it is now usable for an esthetic rack focus instead of the slam bam of before.

... or maybe I am going nuts ?

Chris Hurd August 18th, 2006 05:09 PM

John, if you think it's slower, then it probably is. Because "slow" up to now has always been rather fast. Around here in the past, we've referred to the three focus change speed options as fast, faster and fastest.

Dan Keaton August 19th, 2006 11:14 AM

As a software developer, one of the hardest things I do is to get timing on items such as the rack focus just right.

On some computers, there are good tools that you can use to assist. On others it is done by timing loops in which the programmer has to experiment in order to get it right.

Then, in some other area of the code, something changes which affects the timing loop.

So, I completely agree with Chris, the timing has probably changed, and to the better. This could have happened with a programmer changing something else in the code which affected the timing of the rack focus.

Of course, it could have been changed on purpose to make it more useful. It certainly has been discussed before on this site as needing improvement.

Chuck Wall August 22nd, 2006 07:24 AM

Here is the link to the tech bulletin regarding the firmware update.
I stumbled across it on their site

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=12155

Chuck

Chris Hurd August 22nd, 2006 07:57 AM

That link includes instructions for checking the firmware version of your XL H1. If your version is 1.0.2.0, then you're good to go. If your version is earlier than that, then you qualify for this upgrade. Many thanks for posting this, Chuck -- much appreciated!

Chris Hurd August 22nd, 2006 08:39 AM

Following up on Jason's post above, here are some additional details according to the link Chuck provided. Regarding exposure control improvement, the manual iris control has been increased from 1/4 stop adjustments to 1/8 stop adjustments. And, Time Code synchronization continues from an external source when power is removed from XL H1. No mention of the focus speed change improvement though.

Daniel Epstein August 22nd, 2006 09:49 AM

I just called Canon and after a little searching around on their part they told me they would send me a free SD card with instructions for the Firmware update. They had my address in the database based on my phone number

Dan Keaton August 22nd, 2006 10:18 AM

Wow!

This is great news!

The Canon XL H1's firmware is actually field updatable by the user!

This means that Canon can fix problems, or provide upgrades without having the users send in their cameras to Canon's service centers.

This is what I wanted all along!

Chuck Wall August 22nd, 2006 01:41 PM

The number to call for the sd card is 1 800 828 4040
For automated system say tech support, then xlh1 card
is available and beats 65.00 in fedex costs!

Also I was curious about reading out the hours from the
transport, only possible with their "maint software". If
you ever send in your camera just request that info and
they will print it out for you.

Chuck

Barry Gregg August 22nd, 2006 02:00 PM

Chuck is correct. I tried the email and got quite a run around of questions. When they agreed that I needed the update they insisted that the camera would have to be shipped to the repair center. After calling 1-800-828-4040 the SD card is on it's way! Thanks to all.

Patricia Lamm August 22nd, 2006 06:03 PM

That's an amazing discovery. I called the SD number as well, got someone who didn't know about the firmware-by-SD-card, but within in a few minutes he was on board and I'm being shipped my card. Thanks for sharing this information!

Dan Keaton August 22nd, 2006 07:16 PM

I think it is great that we can update the firmware in our XL H1's.

Canon prefers that we send in the cameras.

I would much rather not send an expensive camera through the mail anymore than absolutely necessary.

So, upon request, Canon, will send out the firmware, with instructions, to owners of the XL H1's.

I propose that Canon either post the firmware update on this site, or on their own site, so we can download it ourselves to our cameras. This saves Canon the cost of an SD card, and shipping.

Mr. Hurd, if you think this is a good idea, could you present this to Canon? With Canon's permission, we could post the firmware update and instructions on this site without any effort on Canon's part.

I feel that most of the users that reported in on this thread so far, preferred not to send their cameras to Canon service for this update, instead opting for the SD update.

Dan Keaton August 22nd, 2006 07:37 PM

The following is from Canon's website concerning this firmware update:

Checking Firmware Version:
To check the firmware version on the XL H1:
1. Turn the main power dial to 'VCR' mode
2. Slide the 'Card/Tape' to 'card' mode (switch is located on the handgrip, above the record start/stop button)
3. Press the 'Menu' button
4. Scroll down to 'System' and press the 'Set' button 5. The firmware version of the camcorder will be displayed.

It appears that when they state: "Set button 5" they mean the one and only "Set" button on the camera, the one above the "IRIS/Select" dial.

When performed, the "Firmware x.x.x.x" will be displayed near the bottom of the menu list.

Johan Forssblad August 23rd, 2006 02:22 AM

Great! Now some of our wishes will come true!

But it seems to work differently in Europe or at least in Sweden.
The Canon Support Centre here told me they will not send out any SD cards because they want the camera workshop to perform all upgrades.

They told me if I make the upgrade myself I will void all guarantees.
Even if I get a problem with anything else which is not depending on the firmware I will no longer be able to claim for guarantee!

I got a case number and have mailed my camera shop. Waiting to see what will happen.

BTW, this Canon website above speaks about "Service Notice: Release of Timecode Output Malfunction When Playing Back HDV 24F".
Does it not apply to 25F too? Anybody else in Europe please chime in! /Johan

Dave Perry August 23rd, 2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton
I feel that most of the users that reported in on this thread so far, preferred not to send their cameras to Canon service for this update, instead opting for the SD update.

I just called Canon for the firmware update and they will definitely try to get you to send the camera in but also offer the option of having the SD card sent out to you. I opted to have the SD card sent.

Daniel Epstein August 24th, 2006 02:10 PM

Firmware Update Arrived

My firmware update arrived today, quicker than I expected. It takes about five minutes to install and the instructions are very easy. The only part which is a little weak is it doen't tell you it is done for very long after it finishes so you might want to watch it work.
The Iris stepping is a huge improvement. I haven't had time to see what else is better.

Dan Keaton August 24th, 2006 02:13 PM

Dear Daniel,

Good news!

John Richard August 24th, 2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Epstein
My firmware update arrived today, quicker than I expected. It takes about five minutes to install and the instructions are very easy. The only part which is a little weak is it doen't tell you it is done for very long after it finishes so you might want to watch it work.
The Iris stepping is a huge improvement. I haven't had time to see what else is better.

By "Iris Stepping" do you mean what some of us call the auto "Rack Focus"?
If so, you confirm that Chris Hurd was right - I may not be crazy after all - the rack focus is slower and usable after the firmware update.

Chris - that is a great selling point now for this 20X lense and H1 combo - a perfect automated rack focus preset.

Chris Hurd August 24th, 2006 05:57 PM

Nope, iris stepping is a different thing altogether. What the firmware update provides is a smoother degree of change as you adjust exposure. Instead of 1/4 stop increments like before, it's now 1/8 stop increments which means that the exposure adjustment is more subtle than it used to be, very much a good thing.

John Richard August 25th, 2006 12:44 AM

Can someone who has done the firmware update and previously used the auto rack focus on the 20X lense prior to the firmware update see if the rack focus has slowed appreciably compared to the snap speed they saw before the update.

Dan Keaton August 25th, 2006 06:30 AM

I received the firmware update in the mail yesterday.

Due to a shoot last night, I have not installed it yet.

I intend to record some rack focus shots at all three speeds, then install the firmware and repeat the tests.

I hope to run these tests on Saturday.

Dave Perry August 28th, 2006 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Richard
Can someone who has done the firmware update and previously used the auto rack focus on the 20X lense prior to the firmware update see if the rack focus has slowed appreciably compared to the snap speed they saw before the update.

I tested before and after and saw no change in speed.

Sandor Bondorowsky August 28th, 2006 08:01 PM

Sd Frimware Update

Can someone post the update file that's on the SD card? It would save a lot of us the trouble of calling?

Is that a no no?

Sandor

Johan Forssblad August 29th, 2006 03:28 AM

Hi,
It works differently here. Canon in Sweden said they will not send out any SD card because:
-If something is going wrong the whole mother board could stop functioning.
Obviously they don't want to have any conflict about such cases.
They gave me some addresses in Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmoe and Växjö where we should be able to get the update for free. They recommended us to first contact their main workshop, Canon RCC, in Gothenburg. /Johan

Dan Keaton August 29th, 2006 07:05 AM

Dear Sandor,

My guess is that posting of Canon's firmware would need Chris Hurd's and Canon's permission.

I recommend that you call Canon. They are very helpful, and then have been sending out the firmware update the same day, for delivery in one or two days.

Barry Gregg August 29th, 2006 11:57 AM

Canon posts firmware updates for their still cameras all the time. I have updated my 5D digital still camera twice in the six months that I have owned it. I wonder why it's such a mystery for Canon video cameras. It isn't that hard to transfer the file to an SD card and then follow the instructions. However, neither Chris or anyone else is going to post the file if Canon doesn't want it posted.

Chris Hurd August 29th, 2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandor Bondorowsky
Can someone post the update file that's on the SD card?

Sorry but the firmware update file is Canon's intellectual property and DV Info Net does not have a license to distribute it. Therefore it will not be posted here, nor will I allow any links to someone else's unauthorized file upload. That's the way the legal ball bounces, folks. Just call Canon and get it directly from them; it's an easy thing to do. Thanks for understanding,

Pete Bauer August 30th, 2006 12:05 PM

I just did the firmware upgrade on my two XL H1's. Here's the gouge:

ORDERING: I called the 800 number in the afternoon last Thursday, 24 August. The very courteous lady in Chesapeake, VA initially assumed I would send in my cameras, as she seemed unaware that SD cards with the firmware could be mailed out. But she promptly checked with a supervisor and set up the order based on my phone number. She told me it would be 7-10 days, but when I mentioned that others were receiving their SD cards within 48 hours, she said she'd check again with her superviser. Total time of the call: between 5-10 minutes. Number of times placed on hold while the very courteous lady checked with a supervisor to verify what I told her, or looked in her database for information: 3.

Parenthetically, I was quite disappointed to learn that despite having previously filled out the online XL Owner's Club form -- several times, actually, because they had some bad code in their Owner's Club web site so it wasn't working correctly at first -- and providing my camera information by email AND telephone, only one of my three XL cameras (an XL2 and 2 XL H1's) is listed in Canon's database. Guess I'll have to revisit that in the email survey I just received from Canon.

SHIPPING: My order was not shipped until this Monday. It departed Chesapeake, VA on Monday AM, 28 Aug by UPS overnight and arrived at my home in Houston on Tuesday.

UPGRADE: Interestingly, previous posts and the Canon web notice indicate the current firmware version as 1.0.2.0. The version I received was 1.0.3.0 (as printed on the SD Card, the instruction sheet, and as read by the camera). The instruction sheet says "Firmware updated to correct time code problem" which is the same primary issue mentioned online for the 1.0.2.0 version. So I don't know what the difference between 1.0.2.0 and 1.0.3.0 really might be, if any.

Another parenthetical comment...There is also a 1.0.3.1 firmware mentioned on the instruction sheet: "Both 60i/50i switches is turned on, and time code error is fixed." So I guess that fairly well confirms what most of us assumed anyway: that the NTSC/PAL upgrade is strictly a firmware deal. But that last ".1" will cost ya!

Anyway, I followed the instructions to the letter...except where I assumed that "CA Adapter" really meant "AC Adapter." ;-) All went perfectly. It's a five minute operation, about 3:40 of which is just waiting for the new firmware to overwrite the old one.

RESULTS: I didn't check other features like iris, but I tried the Focus Preset ("Rack Focus") on both cameras before and after the upgrade. NO change at all, as previously reported. I am happy to note that, YES, a synched timecode now does hold when the camera is powered down. I set my A camera on Free Run timecode, hooked the B camera up in Ext Control to synch, and unhooked. Let 'em run for a bit to eyeball that they were actually synched. Turned 'em both off while we had dinner, returned with a full belly to put both cameras in Manual, and found them still synched up. I'll leave both cameras in Free Run for couple days and then check to see how much drift there is (or hopefully isn't).

Having now gone through the process, I have to agree with those calling for video camera firmware to be available online. It is just like upgrading your digital still camera firmware or computer BIOS. Definitely something to do carefully and correctly, but not hard to do at all. I would have said that I could understand the company wanting to keep a record of which cameras have which firmware version, but given the weak showing by the Owner's Club, I wouldn't say that now. They'd save money on support staff, SD cards, and shipping to spend a tiny amount making the firmware available on their web site, even if you had to sign in to get your download (which would also cover the concern about maintenance records on the cameras).

Of course, proceed with due care when messing with firmware. But done properly, it worked out fine!

Chris Hurd August 30th, 2006 12:45 PM

Thanks for such a comprehensive and very informative report, Pete. I'm in full agreement with you in the opinion that Canon should simply offer the firmware upgrade as a downloadable file from their web site. Much appreciated,

Lauri Kettunen August 30th, 2006 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johan Forssblad
Hi,
It works differently here. Canon in Sweden said they will not send out any SD card because:

Johan, the Canon Scandinavian (which is located in Sweden) maintenance seem to have odd policy. First, they give flase information. For example, they claimed that the upgrade to NTSC and 24F is not offered by Canon but instead by some third party, and thus, is not recommend. Only after I pointed out, that Canon does advertise the upgrage itself, then they changed the response. Maybe we have to ask the European headquarters in Holland to get the firmware SD card?

Chris Hurd August 30th, 2006 02:32 PM

I seriously doubt that they gave out false information intentionally. Most likely it's just a case of unfamiliarity with such a specialized product as the XL H1. That particular office might be too small to maintain a knowledgeable staff for it (if they're limited to a small staff, then they probably specialize in the consumer camcorder lines only). It might be more accurate to say that their initial information was simply misguided or just not well researched. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt please.

Johan Forssblad August 31st, 2006 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauri Kettunen
... the upgrade to NTSC ...

Hi Lauri,
??? Isn't that a downgrade? He He. /Regards Johan

Lauri Kettunen August 31st, 2006 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I seriously doubt that they gave out false information intentionally. ... Let's give them the benefit of the doubt please.

Chris, yes, you definitely have a point. My intention was not to underline the feedback, but instead to say, that one has to find the right people with whom to talk with. Should have said this explicitly. Otherwise, I fully agree, most likely, in a smalller maintenance office they simply are not familiar with all the details, and consequently, their reply was based on a kind of cultivated guess of what could be going one.

A. J. deLange August 31st, 2006 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johan Forssblad
??? Isn't that a downgrade? He He. /Regards Johan

Maybe you guys get a couple of extra lines in PAL but we (NTSC) had 1.3 MHz chroma bandwidth in the I channel (not that any American manufacturer ever made a set that could receive it).