I took the PLUNGE!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 27th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #1
Trustee

I took the PLUNGE!!!

Tommorrow, by noon, I should have myXLH1.It all happened quickly...Marty Hudzik was really helpfull,and packed it up today.
More to follow....
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
p.s. keep me in mind for anyone looking for a clean XL2. As a matter of fact. I'll be putting it in the classified section tommorrow.
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Major Player

You bought his XL-H1?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #3
Trustee

Bruce,

That's great. I felt bad for Marty having to get rid of it and I'm glad another forum member picked it up.

I do know someone looking for a good XL2.
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #4
Trustee

Floris,
Yes, I did and now I have to figure out how to pay the Amex bill next month.

Ken,
I sent you email.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old October 28th, 2006, 06:24 AM   #5
Trustee

Hey there. Yes sadly I had to part with my H1. It was a great camera but my financial situation dictated that it had to go. I am getting an A1 to shoot the remaining jobs I have. While I will miss the ergonomics and flexibililty of the H1, I figure the end product won't look all that different. I just need to re-acclimate myself to the servo type focus ring. I almost always shot with the 16x manual lens.

Anyway, I recently moved to be closer to my work (full-time motion graphics producer) and the cost of living, house-payment, bills, etc. have all gone up. My side business (wedding videography, commercial and music video production) have all gone down due to new location and just not having time to promote it while moving.

Either way, Bruce has helped me out of a jam. I know you'll love the camera....in my mind it is leaps and bounds above the XL2 you are using....even in SD. The colors are better and the low light capabilites are superior. Good Luck.

I do have to say I felt a little sad to ship it out. I know it is just a camera, but not seeing it sitting in the bag next to my workstation left me feeling a little empty inside.

Oh well.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #6
Trustee

Waiting for fedex.....
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old October 28th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Bruce,

I predict that you will be very happy with the XL H1.

If you have a field monitor, I recommend that you check the calibration on your monitor, then set the brightness on your viewfinder to match. Also set the color to match.

In my opinion, this is the most important step towards you enjoying the XL H1.

Also, download all of the custom presets and load them into your camera. I feel that you will be amazed at the differences between the various presets. Pick the six that you like the best, then load these into the camera's internal memory, the others on the SD chip will still be available.

Please be advised to frequently check which custom preset you have active. The buttons to switch between presets, under the handle, are easily bumped. I have considered loading the same preset into all six of the internal memory slots in order to avoid the problem of accidently switching to a different preset.

I also recommend setting one of your option buttons to the "Previous Preset" function. This allows you to easily go back to your desired preset in case you accidently press the forward button.
Old October 28th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #8
Trustee

Dan,
I just got the H1 and haven't powered it up yet. I attached the stock viewfinder, but will probably be using the fu 1000 that I had on my XL2.I will try to calibrate the stock vf anyways.
Thanks for the info on the presets. I have about 20 saved for use on the XL2, and more on the blue barn software on my lap top. The three I keep on the Xl2 are
1-prest to match my FX1
2-A more saturated,richer looking preset that I use for most everything, and
3- a low light preset for weddings, etc.
Do you know if I'll be able to use those same presets/ ( I notice that there are more tweakable parameters on the H1).
Thanks also for the tip on the prest buttons.( Reminds me of when I unknowingly switched my wb knob on my xl2, and didn't realize it till I got home...black and white viewfinder.)
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old October 28th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Bruce,

Concerning the presets between the XL2 and the XL H1, while many of the concepts are the same I feel confident in saying that you can not load the XL2 presets into the XL H1. Just as the presets in the XL H1 will not load into the XH A1 or XH G1.

I downloaded the wonderful variety of presets that Chris made available on this site. Then I studied the manual and the XL H1 whitepaper site to get the necessary information on the presets and what they actually do, as the user manual is not adequate for this. Then I tweaked the preset that I liked best and have been using it for most all work with the XL H1.

Canon's mini-site with Whitepapers (a must read, be sure to download all of the whitepapers: http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/XLH1/index.shtml

Of course, I will probably find that a different preset will improve the shot under certain conditions. I am fascinated by Steven Dempsey's Disjecta preset, but I have not actually shot anything with it so far.

I highly recommend that you setup your camera so that the "Preset in Use" will be attached as data with any still photos that you create. This allows you do document the custom preset setting that were in use, if you just press the Photo buttone sometime for each setup.

Then, at any time, you can reload the exact same preset back into your XL H1 by scanning through you photos and pressing a button to reload the preset data. By doing this you essentially have an unlimited number of custom presets and there is no question as to the exact settings used for any shot. The camera comes with a 16 Megabyte SD card and you can use any size you want. Since the data is only about 39 bytes for each custom preset, you can store quite a few.
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #10
Trustee

Bruce, congradulations. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #11
Major Player

I am about to take the same plunge! The only thing(s) that can keep me from it are the Canon XH-A1 and Canon XH-G1. But at this moment, my mind focuses only on one camera: the Canon XL-H1. When I was 17, I wanted to go to filmschool desperately. Which I didn't. Anyway, two-years ago I decide to have a go at it independently. My aunt has a GL-2 which I liked, but I wanted the XL-2 desperately. I have been busy with other things (i.e. digital photography) and purchased a Sony HDR-HC1E in january of this year. Although I liked the camera, it was far too limiting for my purposes. So I sold it last month. Now I have to buy a new camera and it will be a professional one.

I started my own production company last month. I already have a new computer with Adobe Production Studio and a nice 24" Dell flatscreen. It's the camera that gives me headaches. I really like the Canon XL-H1 and am planning to purchase it with the new 6x Wide lens. That will give me a reach of 24mm - 800mm. That will do. I know it's not the perfect camera, but no other camera comes closer to what I need in terms of image quality, running time (in terms of value) and featureset. But a $4000 A1 does a lot of the same things for half the price. So that's why I am in doubt. But at the end, I think the Canon XL-H1 will better work for the type of work I am doing. And when business is well, I might purchase a Canon XH-A1 for back-up.

Just a few more nights of sleep...
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #12
Trustee

Bob,
Thanks or the enouragement.

Floris,
After playing with the H1 for one day, I'm really impressed.The image is fantastic and it's BETTER than the XL2 in low light! That will be a real help for shooting weddings. The ability to take photos while shooting or from tape is also slick. The iris wheel instead of the iris toggle switch on the xl2 is also easier to work with.I haven't figured out how to download the preset files yet.
The H1 weighs almost two pounds more than the XL2, and that's without using my fu 1000 viewfinder yet.Which brings m to the viewfinder...
I haven't done any real life shooting yet with it, but so far the stock viewfinder looks better than I expected.
As far as the A1 is concerned,I want to figure out how to afford one. I have a Sony FX1 right now (which I'll sell). Having the H1 and the A1 will put me in much better shape for two camera shoots.And hopefully we'll be able to get more work that way.
Today we might go to the new Parrot Jungle in Miami and give this new beauty a work out.
If the A1 has the same look and features as the H1, you can't go wrong.Either way, good luck and keep us posted.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders