Another one who took the plunge at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 30th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Another one who took the plunge

I am glad to announce that I placed an order for the Canon XL-H1 today. I have asked dozens if not hundreds of questions to members of this forum. And I have received even more answers and feedback from all of you. For me, the purchase of a new HD camera was a very difficult one. Not only because almost each camera has major advantages and disadvantages, but also because of the variety of the shooting that I am planning to do. And also because not all NLE's work with all formats, so my purchase of a NLE was bound to that of a camera. Because I wanted to get started, I already ordered Adobe Production Studio Premium because it gives me a fully integrated production studio that has a lot in common with Final Cut Pro.

I have considered the Sony HVR-Z1, Sony HVR-V1, Canon XH-A1, Canon XH-G1, JVC GY-HD110, JVC GY-HD200 and finally the Canon XL-H1. I think each of these camera's can work as long as you learn how to work with it. The thing that ultimately made me pick the Canon XL-H1 is the versality. I can use multiple lenses, have the option for HD-SDI output, have almost all controls on the outside and it allows for easy shoulder mount shooting. Finally, it will work efficiently with HDV tape and the running time is great. I will always have the option to go for HD-SDI.

With the camera, I purchased two additional BP-970G batteries, a Kata CCC-10 camera bag, a Kata rainslicker, a Canon tripod plate, and a Canon CH910 Dual Battery Charger together with 20 Panasonic HD tapes. I am using a Manfrotto 351MVB2 Tripod with Bogen 503 head. Some people already told me that there are better tripods for this camera. I am going to see how the combination works, and might go for a different tripod later on. But I am planning to do more handheld shooting, so it might be sufficient. I am also looking into a good videolight and matte box. But that's of later concern. The same goes for the new Canon 6x HD Wide Lens for the XL series. First I want to master the camera and the new software I am purchased.

There is one question that remains. I am planning on buying Cineform but I want to make sure that the money is well spend. There might be better alternatives, or maybe Adobe Production Studio will do.

Special thanks to Chris Hurd. Without him, I would never have been able to make such a well-thought buying decision. I promise I won't be bothering you with questions about a new camera the next three years.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Floris,

I am very happy for you.

It is very difficult to purchase a camera these days with all of the wonderful choices out there.

I currently use the Cineform version that comes with Vegas. I think this is a good tool for you to have available. I am considering the stand-alone version. I think it is worth purchasing, especially if you have any time-sensitive projects.
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have no regrets. I just want to get away from SD!

pre ordered xl-h1(body only) and 6x wide.
we have 86.7 pounds of xl-2 accesories, so
it's kinda a no brainer.

hoping the 16x manual works as well as on the xl-2.

will
Old October 30th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #4
Starway Pictures

Congratulations on your purchase. I know you'll have no regrets with buying such a fine camera. It truly is a remarkable piece of hardware for the money. I consider it a MiniF900.

While it's not perfect, it certainly does perform.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:31 AM   #5
Trustee

Congratulations, Flois. By the way, what country are you in?
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:33 AM   #6
Major Player

I live in the Netherlands. The southern part to be precise.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:44 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Floris,

You certainly have a pretty country! What a perfect match for the XL H1.

Besides the countryside, I thought the city of Delft was great, especially the central square.
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:44 AM   #8
Trustee

Floris,

Welcome to the H1 club!

These days it is tough to make a decision, but I have not regretted my choice even for a second.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders