photographer attempts correction in post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM   #1
Major Player

photographer attempts correction in post

I'm best described as a photographer learning to use an XL-H1. I have PPro 2 and Aspect HD on a windows platform.

In photography, I often shoot raw and usually adjust the black/white points, gama, and contrast in Photoshop using curves and/or levels. Aspect HD includes effects for brightness, contrast, and saturation. In a couple of limited tests, the AHD contrast adjust seems to give me what I want, but what about the black/white points? Will I need those, and if so, how are those adjusted. Same question for gamma.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Try to get the image a "correct" as you can in camera. HDV does not have the broad dynamic range of RAW, so pushing values around in post will result in more noticable artifacts than what you're accustomed to seein with raw.

That said, I think Premiere has video filters Levels and Curves that are basically the same as used in Photoshop. You can use the sliders in these video filters to make the same adjustments to your video.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:52 PM   #3
Starway Pictures

Use Levels.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 04:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Have a play with the 'fast colour' corrector, its really good for a quick tweak :)
Stick Tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #5
Major Player

another photographer question

When using the Auto modes, is it possible to see the what shutter speed and aperture the camera has selected? When in Av (or Tv) mode, is it possible to see what shutter speed (or aperture) the camera has selected? When I shoot still photos, I may select the aperture using Av mode and let the camera select the shutter speed, but I still want to see the shutter speed while shooting to make sure it is an acceptable value for the situation, not just the exposure. Is this possible with the XL H1?

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders