Is there a Canon HD24p camera coming? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 18th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Is there a Canon HD24p camera coming?

Some time ago Canon licensed 24p. Are the any news of Canon using this, perhaps in an updated XLH1? That would be awesome if they did!

Anyone know?
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #2
Starway Pictures

Stop worrying about the "F" and be assured that the Canon shoots a progressive image.

Sony is using the SAME EXACT technology for the XDCAM products as Canon is. They BOTH use interlaced CCDs to acquire their image. Unlike Canon, however, Sony decided to still call their progressive mode 24P and 30P. Whereas Canon's legal and marketing teams decided to re-brand their progressive mode "F".
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Indeed, there are three 24p HD camcorders already available from Canon: the XL H1, XH G1 and XH A1.

For all intents and purposes, Frame mode is progressive scan.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #4
Major Player

hmm, according to the company where I will doing my HD to Film transfer, 24F is NOT EXACTLY the same as 24P. Which is why this is important to make the distinction.

Sure 24F is fine for broadcast, but that is not what I am after.
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

And yet, according to most NLE applications such as Final Cut Pro, etc., 24F is EXACTLY the same as 24P. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, eats like a duck and quacks like a duck... then it's a duck. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Ng
hmm, according to the company where I will doing my HD to Film transfer, 24F is NOT EXACTLY the same as 24P. Which is why this is important to make the distinction.
Ask the company to explain EXACTLY how 24F is different from 24P. Once you understand EXACTLY how they are different, you will likely agree it is more legal technicality than technical difference. In any case, your film out will be fine.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders