mixing HDV cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 29th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #1
Major Player

mixing HDV cameras

this is a 2part question about mixing footage from 3 diff HDV cams, the Z1 from Sony, the XLh1 from Canon and the HV10.

a) Is there a custom preset out (thats not posted here) that matches the look of the sony z1, sony z1 seems to be far more saturated compared to a stock custom preset on xlh1.

b) is the hv10's color output relatively similar to the xl?
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Spike,
We just did two seperate shoots with almost the exact 3 cams. I have an H1, FX1 and HV10. One shoot was in HDv and the other in sd.here's what I found:
1- The FX1 (or Z1) is more sturated than the H1. I used to have a preset on my XL2 that matched better with the FX1, but don't have one yet for the H1.If you figure something out, please post it.
2-You have to be carefull with the HV10, because it tends to evrexpose a bit.We were using it as a 3rd cam in a really rushed indoor shoot, so I set it to Tv mode (shutter prioritry) and had to let a PA watch the camer. If I had ben able to watch it myself, I would have lowered the exposure. There's no way to control the gain (that I coild find) on the HV10. But it is a great image.
Bruce yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Spike.

It is probably not a lot of use to you however at this web address :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXyJZHPYPP0

there is a music clip of a studio recording session, which was shot with four cameras in mixed formats HDV and MiniDV :-

The first shot POV of mix desk operator through glass (shows blue microphone) was a Sony HDRFX1 + AGUS35 shooting HDV.

The wide master high viewpoint was a Sony HVRZ1P shooting HDV.

The wide floor level view was a Canon XL1 shooting MiniDV.

The roving close-up camera was a Canon XL2 + Letus35 XL flip shooting MiniDV.

All cameras were white-balanced to the same card in the direction of their intended view.

Lighting consisted entirely of very small halogen ceiling reflective downlights.

The only adjustments in post were to rescale the images to match and letterbox for export to web as MP4 file.

Exposure levels and colour balance of all camera shots were not corrected.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 01:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the responses. I know for a fact that the z1 is more saturated than the xlh1 (in stock custom preset). Am going to have to figure out a way to get the XL to come close to the z1's warm color, but don't want to over do it any way. Not sure how closely the hv10 matches, but I will test all this out soon and report back. Would help tremendously if someone else can also do a test or custom preset for the xlh1 to match the hv10 or z1/fx1 series.
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM   #5
Major Player

hey guys, so far from what we've seen, the hv10 and the xlh1 image is relatively close to each other. The hv10 likes to overexpose really easy so a nd filter or polarizer must be used for bright days.

The z1 is a tad bit saturated/darker with no color profiles on and its white balance preset set to outdoors. I'm going to tweak the WB preset down to -4 to see if that helps match up with the xl pic. Other than that, its actually not too horrific in image color differences.
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Go Cycle

On the HV-10, use the VIVID mode. A good ND filter is required at times.
I use my zebra stripes to watch my exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
Spike,
We just did two seperate shoots with almost the exact 3 cams. I have an H1, FX1 and HV10. One shoot was in HDv and the other in sd.here's what I found:
1- The FX1 (or Z1) is more sturated than the H1. I used to have a preset on my XL2 that matched better with the FX1, but don't have one yet for the H1.If you figure something out, please post it.
2-You have to be carefull with the HV10, because it tends to evrexpose a bit.We were using it as a 3rd cam in a really rushed indoor shoot, so I set it to Tv mode (shutter prioritry) and had to let a PA watch the camer. If I had ben able to watch it myself, I would have lowered the exposure. There's no way to control the gain (that I coild find) on the HV10. But it is a great image.
Bruce yarock
www.yarock.com
Old January 1st, 2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Trustee

Lou,
Which nd filter are you using on your hv10?
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Exposure?

Does the Canon HV10 not have manual exposure capabilities? I'm thinking about getting one to use along side my XL H1.

EDIT:

I found the Canon HV10 forum. I'll look around there.
Austin Walton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders