Is there a way to turn of display data on external monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #1
New Boot

Is there a way to turn of display data on external monitor?

We are doing a shoot next week and want to be able to display the output of the camera on a large screen for the audience to see. When I run a bnc cable from the camera to the monitor, everything works fine, however all the display data shows up as well (battery, audio levels, etc...) Since there will be several speakers and I may need to adjust the audio levels for each of them as they come to the podium, I need to be able to see the levels on the camera, but don't want that data to show up on the display that the audience will see. Any idea if it's possible to have display data ONLY show up on the camera and not on the external display? Thanks.
Andrew Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I can't hook my camera up at the moment to test this, but I think you use the remote control (wireless controller WL-D5000) that comes with the camera. Press the button saying TV screen and if I remember correctly the display characters toggle on and off.

Certainly on my FX1 you press "display" on the remote and the characters toggle on and off.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #3
New Boot

Awesome, that did the trick! Strange that they wouldn't have that button somewhere on the camera, but at least it has the capability. Thanks a lot!
Andrew Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Trustee

Another method that doesn't require the remote is to go into the menus and set one of your custom buttons to "TV Screen". Now when filming it toggles the display information on and off to the external monitor whil leaving it on the EVF.

I prefer to not take my remote to shoots as it increase the potential for losing it.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Major Player

If you look under the handle there is 5 buttons....2 custom preset buttons,1 to select and the other on/off.....2 custom keys.....and 1 Display button. Hit the display button once, 1/2 the info goes away,hit it again and all goes away,hit it a third time and it all comes back.......for the VF,video out, s-video out,and component out.
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin
If you look under the handle there is 5 buttons....2 custom preset buttons,1 to select and the other on/off.....2 custom keys.....and 1 Display button. Hit the display button once, 1/2 the info goes away,hit it again and all goes away,hit it a third time and it all comes back.......for the VF,video out, s-video out,and component out.
That works but I thought the original question was to have the EVF display all the readouts and have the output not have any. I think the method you are referring to disables both the EVF and the TV out simultaneously.

Right?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Yes......also. if you use an HD SDI monitor, there never is data display on that output
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm with Marty on not taking the remote out. Fortunately I've got a WL-100 remote from an XL1 and that does most things so I take that.

Look up the wireless controller in the manual for the H1 and you'll see that Canon give you very little information on it's uses. I couldn't find the information Andrew wanted in the manual (it may be there somewhere!).

If you use the menus to change whether the characters are displayed on an external TV then don't forget that there is a menu option which allows you to permanently record year, month, day etc on tape. They are two very different things, but when browsing the manual I managed to confuse them briefly.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders