audio - the same input, separate level controls at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #1
New Boot

audio - the same input, separate level controls

I am about to begin shooting in 1 h. I do have a plan B in place but a little bit of help would be appreciated.

I have a shot-gun pluged in into my XLR port1. Upon adjusting the levels for both channel 1 nad 2, now I would like to have channel 2 slightly bellow chanel 1 in case cahnnel 1 peaks. My knob affect both channels simultanioslly. I usually had wirless mic on channel 2 (xlr port 2) but this time scenerio is different, and...

Thank you,
Vitold
Vitold Vidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Trustee

make sure you set the channel selector to "Ch1". It sounds backwards, but that setting gives you two independent tracks.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:10 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Bruce,
Once I set the channel selector to "Ch1", I do have control of two independent tracks, but I do not have any signal for channel 2, I assume it is because I am not using it…

I was wondering if I could plug in my wireless microphone to only one of the XLR terminals and get the control of both level 1 with audio dial 1, and level 2 with the audio dial 2. I would like to have channel 2 slightly below channel 1 from the same source that’s plugged into XLR terminal 1.

So far if I would choose "Ch1 and 2," audio dial 1 would simultaneously affect channel 1 and 2. If I choose “Ch 1,” audio dial 1 would affect channel 1, and channel 2 would be without a signal.

I have just gone through the manual and I got this:
Pg.65, “The setting of the LINE\MIC switch applies simultaneously to channels 1 and 2.”

Any ideas?

Thanks
Vito
Vitold Vidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I would suggest a 2 chanel mixer but....

My problems with that are listed in another thread "limitations..."
I've done this before and it has saved my butt when I was recording with a single shotgun at a club with a live band. But that was another camera, and it worked well.. I kept the other signal down about 6db, and in the couple of times it went into clipping I was totally unaware until after I put it up into an editor.
Brian Findlay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders