XL H1 and cold weather conditions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 8th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Slightly off topic but does anyone know if the FU-1000 suffers from the same "smearing" as the LCD when in colder temps? If not, then I'd highly recommend this or some other monitor as the default one becomes mush if it is too cold.

Peace

Marty,
I have a FU-1000 and do not see smearing. It's a CRT...and I don't see the smearing that others have mentioned in previous posts. Honestly...I have only used the viewfinder once. IMO...it doesn't give me a SUBSTANTIAL improvement over the color viewfinder.

I was shooting in studio this week...and literally had to constantly check focus on talent with our HD monitor AND the expanded focus button on the camera....to 'tweak' the focus. The LCD simply could not tell me enough information whether I was in focus or not. Only the monitor. The FU-1000 was the same way.
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #32
Regular Crew

It seems to me that the FU-1000 is much better for accurate manual focusing than the stock finder, but peaking must be turned on. The peaking on this finder can be adjusted so it is not as obnoxious looking as that on the color finder.

I don't like the size of the image in this finder-it is like looking through a small hole compared to the color finder.

No, the FU-1000 does not smear in cold weather. I used the color finder during warm weather, but just changed back to the other because the smearing was driving me nuts since the weather turned cold. It is actually only in the 20's Fahrenheit, but that is enough to cause problems.
Old December 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #33
Major Player

Just want to share my experience with you guys.

I just came back from a 2 day shoot in the mountains here in Norway. We spent the night in a tent. The temperature dropped to -15 Celcius at night with strong winds. I had to leave my XL-H1 in the camera bag outside overnight.
I was a bit worried as it was my first time in the cold with the camera, but it worked without problems.
Except the viewfinder which was just a blur at times. The smearing is really quite bad. Thankfully we are delivering SD and I used a wide angel and deep focus a quite a lot.
I had no cover on the camera and it felt bone frozen, but ran like a dream. We didnīt even have to use the generator, the 3 batteries I brought lasted more than enough.
I was filming a Randonee trip and carried the camera around my neck for most of the time.
It can really handle the cold well (not the veiwfinder though)
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #34
Regular Crew

hi,

I tell my experince with cold weather. I used XL2 at -30 C many times. canon have a dual charger-holder, name should be CH910 or something. I put two bp 970 battery on it, and I put it on my waist under my clothes(cover it with a piece of long cloth) . then plug the power cable from your waist to the camera. so battaries are all time warm near body temperature. at - 30 I can shoot nearly 8 hours all day !

only thing you should care is you need to be close to the camera because of the cable length. but this is the easiest and the most sturdy way of handling extreme cold temps.

thanks.
alkim.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders