SDI on playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 3rd, 2007, 05:25 PM   #1
Major Player

SDI on playback

I am a bit confused on the SDI terminals during playback of tape.

Is it possible to playback an SD tape and get SD SDI out of the jack that I could then connect to a DigiBeta recorder.

Is it possible to shoot in HD mode and downconvert (in camera) to SD and then get SD SDI out the jack, which could then be connected to a DigiBeta recorder.

Thanks for the help

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I believe that what you want to do is possible.

I attempted to find the answer in the manual, but it was not perfectly clear.

Pages 100-101 seem to indicate that you can do it, but you will have to set the menu options properly as discussed on Page 101.

I have not tested this myself.

The main question, in my mind, is whether the HD-SDI/SD-SDI's output is downconverted in the camera. There is an option to lock the HD-SDI/SD-SDI output to SD-HDI only. Since this option is available, I assume that a downconverted signal is available at the SDI output.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; February 4th, 2007 at 06:52 AM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #3
New Boot

re: sdi out to digi settings

Hi, The following are the menu settings required for the SDI out put from hdv tape to a digibeta recorder through the jack pack.

When the camera is in manual record mode ensure that:
in the signal setup part of the menu that the 'SD Output' is on and that the 'SDI spec.' is set to SD locked.

The switch to vcr playback mode:
again, signal set up...
'playback standard' - auto
'sdi output' - on
'sdi spec.' - sd locked
'hd down convert' - on

This setting works for me to play live out to a digi recorder. you then connect your sdi lead and timecode bnc to the digi deck.

I have also used the reverse of all these settings to play hd-sdi out live into a ds nitrus machine. Have to say was really impressed with both results. Excellent camera.

note: make sure the digi is switched to input video rather than ref.

cheers,

gav
Gavin Halpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Gavin,

Thank you very much for that helpful information

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #5
New Boot

sorry if I don't get this but does this mean that I don't need to have my camera connected to the computer to get a 4:2:2 signal? I can record to tape and then playback to get 4:2:2 through the HD-SDI? that the 4:2:2 signal is stored to tape but can only be recieved through SDI?
Alex Kalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Kalmer View Post
sorry if I don't get this but does this mean that I don't need to have my camera connected to the computer to get a 4:2:2 signal? I can record to tape and then playback to get 4:2:2 through the HD-SDI? that the 4:2:2 signal is stored to tape but can only be recieved through SDI?
No. The tape will only hold 4:2:0 HDV material. While the SDI output do send a signal from the tape, there is no magic way to get 4:2:2 back again. However some claim there is some processing on the SDI out that does make the image look better than captruing via firewire....although that is hard to believe completely.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #7
New Boot

yeah I thought that was to good to be true
Alex Kalmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders