Canon 25f playback on other camcorders/decks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 7th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 25f playback on other camcorders/decks

Hi all!

I already searched this forum.. sorry if this was already discussed (I'd certainly believe it was ;o) but I was not able to find it.. :-(

We've got some HDV tapes here that were recorded with the Canon XL H1 PAL model in 25f mode. My question is - is there any other chance then renting an H1 or XH A1 to get them via firewire into the editing system?
I only found many postings that state it would not be possible for 24f/30f material to be read anywhere else then with a Canon HDV cam... but with 25f it's theoretically just the 25f footage recorded into a 50i stream.. like it was the case back in MiniDV days with the XL1/XL2 and DVX progressive modes.
So I'd be very interested if anybody yet has tried to play back Canon 25f footage in any other Camcorder/Deck and was successful.. or not successful... ;)
Thanks!!!

Cheers,
-Sören
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

There are exactly five 50i camcorders that will do it and they are all Canon. There is no deck or VTR anywhere that can play video recorded in 25F. The cameras are the 50i versions of the Canon XL H1, XH G1, XH A1, HV10 and HV20. All but the HV20 are available now. The HV20 will be available in early April. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok, thanks Chris!
So it's the same problem in PAL land *sigh* .. so much for hoping that 25f was easier to handle than 24/30f.... :-/
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Unfortunately it is part of the price that you have to pay.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders