Slow pan up - perspective glitches at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 21st, 2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Slow pan up - perspective glitches

I am about to cry. My $300 consumer cam could pan like this no problems...but the H1 looks like a first generation QuickTime VR of a 3d model, all jumpy and horrible looking. Whats the deal? Why can`t I just pan up smoothly?

http://www.kiukle.com/temp/testedgemere.wmv

can you see what i mean?
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I wouldn't say that this is being caused by the camera itself.

What settings for frame rate, resolution, and shutter are you using?

what NLE are you using (i know that with PPro, i was getting a very slight stuttering out of my 24F mode until i installed the presets that i got from their site)?

what are your capture settings?

what encoder are you using?
Benjamin Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Trustee

It looks like either you've left it on autofocus instead of manual focus, or you've left your finger grip on the lens barrel (so slightly moving the rings) during the pan.
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Major Player

recorded at 60i HDV 1440x1080, as far as I remember i didn`t touch the shutter as I haven`t learned how to use those settings yet. If anything at some point the AE shift i think was at -.5 by accident. Is there anyway to check?
I`m recording straight onto a Firestore 4 pro and using PPro 2.0

the wmv was encoded with premieres built in encoder, it looks exactly like that in premiere as well, as well as exported uncompressed. It all has that effect like it was only getting the perspective every 2 seconds. I tried putting it back on the hard drive and plugging it in to the camera, played it back and it looks fine in the EVF, but every shot from that angle in PPro looks like the file i posted....what if anything can i do? Theres even a hand held shot very similar that came out fine in PPro....
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Trustee

I don't know what the issue is but few things can cause grabbing like this. Slow pans and tilts on tripods should be done with the image stabilizer off. It will try and grab the image on slow moves. Your hand held shot might be better since the little shake you give the camera gives the stabilizer something to do
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Wrangler

Just off the cuff, that looks like an encoding issue to me. The WMV is encoded at a low bit rate and reduced resolution, so I'd be surprised if there were NOT compression artifacts. Try exporting to a much higher bitrate, full 1440x1080 WMV from the timeline. I'm going to guess it won't look jumpy...but if it does, then I'm with Daniel that the image stabilizer was accidentally left on.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini
I am about to cry. My $300 consumer cam could pan like this no problems...but the H1 looks like a first generation QuickTime VR of a 3d model, all jumpy and horrible looking. Whats the deal? Why can`t I just pan up smoothly?

http://www.kiukle.com/temp/testedgemere.wmv

can you see what i mean?

Switch off the image stabilizer!
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #8
Trustee

Yes, Lee may be also right on this one Nathan...did you have IS turned on? This is a big no-no when panning on a tripod, although you can sometimes get away with it on extremely slow pans it is much better to leave it turned off. Even handheld pans are normally best with the IS off.
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #9
Major Player

hmmm to be honest i`m not sure when i turned it on. I remember shutting it off for some of the tight zooms because I noticed even when the tripod was still the image was slightly moving around....not sure if i had it on when doing the pans. It may have been one contributing factor.
The other....something with Premiere. The pans look fine in the camera viewfinder, yet have the weird jumpy perspective thing in Premiere...and exports through the Adobe media encoder that way. Again I ended up using DebugMode Frameserver to export to Tmpgenc and it looked fine through that. So it may be a combo of premiere and the image stabilizer, i`ll have to do some more tests to see how it works.

So, image stabilizer only when doing handheld?
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yes, try not to use the IS when the camera is locked down. There are all kinds of little things that will get "glitchy", some you might not even realize until you're viewing it on a large monitor.
Benjamin Richardson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders