Diggin' in to the XL H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 21st, 2007, 12:10 PM   #1
New Boot

Diggin' in to the XL H1

Hey everyone! Thanks in advance for all of the information that is received on the forum. This place is awesome!

I've been using the XL H1 for a little bit now, on and off for a few months, and I'm trying to get answers to some acquired questions. The camera was purchased in December 2005 and has been collecting dust more than rolling tape. I've recently read minimal amounts regarding firmware updates for the camera and was looking to get a general idea as to what an update would be for and how to obtain it.

In addition, I wanted to narrow down which NLE system would be best (out of my available selection) to use with the camera. I, personally, have used Final Cut Pro for 5-6 years and love the software unconditionally. I've mainly used the editor with footage from Sony DVCAMs (DSR-300, DSR-PD150/170) and the Panasonic DVX cameras, but haven't had smooth success with HDV footage. Here at work, I have an Avid Adrenaline, Avid Express w/ Mojo SDI, Avid Express w/ Mojo, Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 (on the Mojo SDI system), and Final Cut Pro 4.5 (on the Mojo system).

Would any editor work better over another for this camera? By shooting in 30/24F frames modes, are certain editors recommended? -Are certain editors automatically crossed off the list? To attain true 24fps media/timelines what needs to happen? (In the field and in post..)

Lastly, one of the things that I would be prospectively shooting are lots of time-lapse. If I were to shoot HDV time-lapse, what kind of extra equipment is recommended for the camera?

And again, thanks so much in advance for all of the information!

Austin Thaler
Austin Thaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

H1 works great with Final Cut 5.1
I dont have much experience with Avid, but I dont think you will run into any problems.

For time lapse your going to need to capture to a software app or another device via firewire, because the H1 has no time lapse capabilities.

The firmware is very easy. There is a post stickied about it, just call the number and request the upgrade, its free. Make sure you read all of the post, the first number is wrong, you want the other number listed.

-Brian
Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:30 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Critchlow
For time lapse your going to need to capture to a software app or another device via firewire, because the H1 has no time lapse capabilities.

-Brian
Brian,

I'm pretty sure this is true for HDV in general. I think it's the GOP. There is a thread about it somewhere on this forum.

I think Steven Dempsey posted a clip of some timelapse he managed to do with the H1. I think he had to run the whole time and lapse it in post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders