EVF Flip for 35mm adaptor issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #1
New Boot

EVF Flip for 35mm adaptor issues

Just wondering if anyone has managing to get around the useless idea of being able to flip the EVF image but only when your canon lens is not attached?

I mean, what were they thinking? Yes I've tried partially removing my lens to trick the camera into thinking the lens isn't there and yes it then allows me to flip the image, but then of course the lens is made to shut the iris down once disconnected from the camera, rendering that idea useless. I thought about covering some of the pins on the lens to trick it, but seemed like a bad idea...

Does anyone know if there is a firmware update to fix this mis guided oversight?

In the mean time, i continue to shoot with my whole EVF/mic eyepiece mounted upside down on the camera, therefore shooting everything from the right side of the camera, when using 35mm adapters...
Kirk Pflaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Major Player

I use an on Camera HD monitor for precise focus.
This will flip the image (actually I use the Letus which replaces the stock lens and has image flip)

You really need a good monitor to see the prescision of focus with the shallow DOF Anyway!
This combined with the VF peaking works well.
but I am getting pretty good at jusdging the VF

J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Major Player

fyi ---some guy is selling one in the classified section here
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pflaum View Post
Just wondering if anyone has managing to get around the useless idea of being able to flip the EVF image but only when your canon lens is not attached?

I mean, what were they thinking? Yes I've tried partially removing my lens to trick the camera into thinking the lens isn't there and yes it then allows me to flip the image, but then of course the lens is made to shut the iris down once disconnected from the camera, rendering that idea useless. I thought about covering some of the pins on the lens to trick it, but seemed like a bad idea...

Does anyone know if there is a firmware update to fix this mis guided oversight?

In the mean time, i continue to shoot with my whole EVF/mic eyepiece mounted upside down on the camera, therefore shooting everything from the right side of the camera, when using 35mm adapters...
I've literally wasted a day on this issue, looking for a resolution. I took delivery of my brevis this morning. I didn't order the flip module because canon CLEARLY states that you can set up a custom key to perform the evf flip for you.

And it doesn't.

The folks at canon must have taken a powder when designing this "feature".

I have the very latest version of the XL-H1.
James W. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Starway Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton View Post
I use an on Camera HD monitor for precise focus.
This will flip the image (actually I use the Letus which replaces the stock lens and has image flip)

You really need a good monitor to see the prescision of focus with the shallow DOF Anyway!
This combined with the VF peaking works well.
but I am getting pretty good at jusdging the VF

J
I agree with John whole heartedly. This camera is difficult to focus in its stock configuration, let alone with shallow DOF.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders