Upconverting SD files for HDV Project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Upconverting SD files for HDV Project

MacBook Pro 17" (OS X 10.4.8) - FCP 5.1.2 - Mac 23" Cinema Display - XL1s / XLH1

Although my output will be to a SD DVD, I want to capture and edit an HDV / FCP project so that I have a HD master. What is the best way to upconvert SD 4:3 files for inclusion in the 16:9 HDV timeline.
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Dick,

Instant HD V.1.0 from Red Giant Software

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/instanthd.html

Haven't tried it myself , some of my buddies like it very much.

Herman.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #3
Major Player

I second the Instant HD. We use it all the time, it's easy fast to setup and works perfect.

As a bonus the Red Giant people are great to work with as well!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Deinterlace

Thanks for the Red Giant URL.

Does anyone have experience with using the software with interlaced footage. I shoot on an XL H1 and will need to deinterlace in FCP.
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

please excuse my stupid question.. Are you saying fooatge filmed and captured in SD can be upconverted to High def?
Andy Lunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:30 PM   #6
Major Player

This should answer both questions and is a quote directly from the Red Giant site...

"Instant HD up-converts DV video into a variety of HD video formats. You can choose from a list of preset resolutions to make it easy to integrate DV video into your next High Definition production. When scaling from standard definition (SD) to high definition (HD), the missing pixels must be generated in an intelligent way. Instant HD provides a high-quality method for converting SD sources to HD within your favorite video application.

IMPORTANT NOTE The product is specifically designed to work with progressive (non-interlaced) images. That means that if you are starting with interlaced video such as a standard Sony PD150 DVCAM capture, you will need to convert the image to progressive in the host application before applying Instant HD."

I hope this helps guys!

RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders