Steel Mill Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 16th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Steel Mill Footage

Ooops...I accidently posted this in the A1 Canon forum...
(Chris...you can kill that if you want...Sorry ! )

Guys....I have posted some stuff on our website...I'm hoping my web admin doesn't "bust" us due the the amount of bandwidth downloading...

Maybe Chris can give me access to upload these files.

Here's the deal...

this footage was shot both HDV and DVCProHD at the same time. We used the HD-SDI output and ran matching TC also.

There is a PDF file you can read about how we did this....Canon did a little article on us...so just download the file.

Also...all the shots in this QT are DVCPro100 except one. I know it will be tough to tell which in a compressed QT....but I'll tell you. The last shot is HDV.

We edited this on an Avid Adrenaline...ingesting the DVCProHD AND the HDV.

There are several scenes in this video (ultimately a 28 minute plant tour and a 4 minute tradeshow video) where we COULDN'T power or tether the DVCPro HD deck....so we just shot HDV. We thought it would be a good test.

It was...we can see the difference of course....but cutting the footage together matched nicely...and ultimately...downcoverting it to SD and playing on a DVD in letterbox mode....no one can see the difference.

I was seriously impressed with the white hot whites...and the grays and blacks and keeping the chroma colors. Contrast is not an issue with this camera.

Also...we used a N6 ND filter in the matte box for the pouring shots, in addition to the ND on the camera.

Camera was set 1080i and shooting 24f.

Enjoy.

Go here to download:

http://www.takeoneprod.com/canonxlh1
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Trustee

Kevin,

Great Stuff! thanks for sharing it. You can practically feel the heat.

Unfortunately we lose alot on the QT compression but still...

Did you use the factory settings or a custom preset? That's a pretty tricky lighting situation but the ND's seemed to handle it well.
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ken...

Used the factory preset. The molten steel was 2900 degrees F. I actually thought the matte box might melt when the ladle passed by me...it was incredibly hot !

All in all...in that type of environment the camera did extremely well with dust, dirt and grime.

I can throw up a couple of uncompressed jpgs if anyone wants to see a hi-res shot.
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Martorana View Post
Thanks Ken...
I can throw up a couple of uncompressed jpgs if anyone wants to see a hi-res shot.
Please do!

Allow me to ask a dumb question here. I'm an XL1s user looking into getting an H1, so alot of this is new to me.

You said you did HDV and DVCProHD at the same time. Was the HDV recorded to MiniDV tape or through some other method?
Josh Keffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Kevin,

Great looking footage! I can only imagine that searing heat as the ladle passed by. I would've melted like a T-1000 ;)

It seems like the Sorenson compression didn't handle the flying sparks very well. Wish I could've encoded it for you because I know the SDI/DVCPRO HD version probably didn't have any artifacts whatsoever. Nonetheless, great stuff!

I look forward to reading the article on you. Were you part of the 'Watchmaker' production?
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Kevin;
Amazing looking footage, very nice. Could you post a .jpg of the HD-SDI footage and the HDV for comparison?
Thanks, Barry
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Keffer View Post
Please do!

Allow me to ask a dumb question here. I'm an XL1s user looking into getting an H1, so alot of this is new to me.

You said you did HDV and DVCProHD at the same time. Was the HDV recorded to MiniDV tape or through some other method?

Josh...
Yes...we recorded HDV on Sony's HDV Master tapes (basically DV tape..but probably taken from the "middle of the roll" so the quality is better. The tape is Model: SO-PHDVM63DM
Mini cassette format. Recording time is 63 minutes in HDV or DV.

You can use regular DV tape...but I have preferred this HDV tape. So far...haven't seen one dropout. And if you get a dropout on HDV...it's not just a frame. It can be up to SECONDS in length due to the GOP recording. I've seen a dropout from our H1 on a regular DV tape that was missing 3 seconds of full information.
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton View Post
Kevin,

Great looking footage! I can only imagine that searing heat as the ladle passed by. I would've melted like a T-1000 ;)

It seems like the Sorenson compression didn't handle the flying sparks very well. Wish I could've encoded it for you because I know the SDI/DVCPRO HD version probably didn't have any artifacts whatsoever. Nonetheless, great stuff!

I look forward to reading the article on you. Were you part of the 'Watchmaker' production?

Thanks Barlow...

Yeah....I was looking for a quick way to compress for you folks to view it. If you view the QT in half size....artifacting isn't as obvious. I was also trying to keep the size down...since it's coming off our server.

I was not part of the Watchmaker production...but that was a great piece...and due to it...we purchased the camera. Blew us away at NAB 06.
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Gregg View Post
Kevin;
Amazing looking footage, very nice. Could you post a .jpg of the HD-SDI footage and the HDV for comparison?
Thanks, Barry
I'll put some up Sunday and let everyone know so they can download them.
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #10
Major Player

I've posted some HDV and HD grabs...
just go to the same address as before...

http://www.takeoneprod.com/canonxlh1
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, Kevin. Much appreciated.
Josh Keffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for the frame grabs, Kevin. There is an amazingly small difference between the HD-SDI images and the HDV images. Zoomed into 400% the HD-SDI has about the same amount of breakup in the image as the HDV, but the HD-SDI looks more like grain and the HDV looks more like noise.

On a HD monitor what are your perceptions of the difference between the HD-SDI and the HDV footage?

Thanks!
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #13
Major Player

On an HD monitor...you can see the difference between the 100mbps version and the 25mpbs of the HDV.

Also remember...the 100mpbs I grabbed is from our Avid Adrenaline...so the footage was captured with the Avid Codec...DNxHd at 220.

Bottom line....when looking at the HDV direct playback from the H1 and looking off tape from the DVCPro100....there is a difference. HOW MAJOR ? If I was to shoot that video again today...I would be totally confident to shoot just HDV and post it. For a corporate video.

If I was shooting a national spot...I'd record the 100mpbs...so the image quality would be the best possible...since the Avid is compressing at 220. But...that said...it's difficult to see the difference between the avid 220 and off-tape from the DVCPro 100. I don't know how they're doing that.....but it is clean and incredibly small in file size.

Hope this helps.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:28 PM   #14
Major Player

Kevin that is GREAT looking stuff. Very well shot.

The camera did a fantastic job with the color, look and feel. Speaking of color, how much CC did you end up doing on the Avid (or other)? I like that shot as 24P, very nice, was the shutter 1/48 or?
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:37 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Daniel.

NO CC was done at all. Shutter was at 1/48. We were balanced 56k...
We also used a 2k hmi for "fill" so we could have some definition on the ladle as it poured.

Otherwise....what you see is what you get !
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders