Color shift via component? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 26th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Color shift via component?

We have been working pretty hard to eliminate using component output for our workflows (hence my ever present SDI questions on this board). But last week we did some remote location shooting with the H1 and experienced some fairly color shifted results after capturing from tape/HDV today.

We had brought along our DELL 24" monitor, mostly for critical focus/framing our shots and had it hooked to the H1 via component. We set our white balance manually, compared the EVF to the DELL and found them both to be pretty close to one another. So we made the assumption that all was well and started shooting. We repeated the steps outdoors (white balancing), and shot more footage.

I was surprised at how much the color shifted after capture. One of the camera operators who was on set looked at the transferred results in disbelief. It was more than a small shift coming from tape/HDV. Capture was done using Cineform Aspect HD, and only the interior shots looked off by the way, our exterior WB footage looked dead on. I have been using the DELL with our HD100 in this manor and never been off that much in color.

For reference.
The DELL was pretty closely calibrated before using it that day, it was even close to the JVC in over all color (although nothing even near the quality of the JVC monitor). And although both the H1's EVF and the DELL looked good during the shoot, the color was off in the end. I spot color corrected some of it today and it can be saved, but I would like to avoid this hassle in the future.

Has anyone else had a similar experience when monitoring via component on the H1? Or was this just a fluke?

Thanks!

RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Trustee

Daniel,

I don't know how it would affect the color shift directly, but we've all found the stock H1 EVF to be way to bright. Meaning, if you're not aware of it, you'll record images darker than planned. I have mine turned down to the lowest setting now.
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ken, the EVF does look a bit off compared to a good reference monitor (bright and somewhat cooler color temp). I'll be setting this one down lower as well.

Never have found what the problem was on the shoot that day, other than the fact that the H1 looks to monitor cooler than what goes to tape/HDV.

Thanks for the reply!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #4
Major Player

guys....if you're using zebra settings...the brightness of the evf shouldn't matter. Zebra is designed to tell you the actual exposure of a scene. Look at your whites....if you've set your Zebra setting to 95%...and you begin to get zebra on a white in the scene....there is no question as to your exposure. Period.

If you don't have white in the scene...set the zebra to 70%. This is very close to human skin...

If you're doing an interview...set the zebra to that...and have the face filled with zebra. I personally don't use this...but I know others who do. You have to get used to your talking head with zebra on their face. :)
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders