H1 & DSC Chart Calibration - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 28th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #16
Trustee

Hey daniel what you up to next weekend, sent you an e-mail.
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #17
Major Player

Sent you a reply, I'm in Vegas starting Thursday. Looks like I'm going to end up making a road trip to Atlanta when I get back in town, so we can get things calibrated. ;)

Peace!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #18
Trustee

Alright everyone, finally got hold of a waveform vectorscope. Going through the tests right now. Here's the deal I have a different chart then the one that Paolo had. I'm not 100% on his but on mine the setup is slightly different. I'm not saying he did his wrong but I buy it if he did. The 11 step grey chart is not to be configured with the last step at 0 according to mine, the last step is at about 18.1% And cavity black is around 8.9% if his is set up the same way and he set his last step to 0 then he's actually cutting out about 20% of his gamma information (especially on the low end)

Next I checked the color scale, my chart has a 28 step color wheel instead of just the 6 basic ones. The thing is on mine you have to up the gain on the vector scope by about 2, so if you calibrate it straight through you have your colors super saturated. Again I don't know what his chart documentation says but I think the different "looks" between this and factory will not be quite as drastic as his results. Will be posted soon.
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #19
Trustee

It seems like there is a difference in the 60i 24f and 30f color spaces specifically that 30f seems to be able to handle much more light, not sure why that would be though. I'm attaching the results that I'm pretty happy with for the 24f version. I have a different one for 60i but I'm not completely sure that I trust it. This 24f version should give you 1:1 on a chroma du monde chart I brought the setup leves down because the blacks were bottoming out at abotu 3-4 ire and I wanted them at 0.

dsc 1:1 24f
gam 1
kne h
blk s
ped -4
set -4
shp-nr2 users choice
cmx n
cgn 1
cph 0
rgn 0
ggn 1
bgn 1
rgm 5
rbm 3
grm -4
gbm 4
brm -2
bgm 2
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:14 AM   #20
Major Player

Nick,

That's great news, you did it! Now I just need to try it out. I appreciate your time and efforts, you are true to your word Nick.

Sorry for my disappearing act, but I did my Vegas trip and got nailed by one of the worse flu viruses I have ever experienced. Almost a month later and I'm still a bit messed up, each day is a gamble.

On the bright side I shot some great motocross with the H1 while there. Maybe next time I can run those settings. I'll show you what I shot when we get together, just let me get back to feeling 100% first. ;)

Peace!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders