Console Software & Camera Shading at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Tourist

Console Software & Camera Shading

We have just begun using two Canon XLH1 cameras in our church for the purpose of IMAGing. We were advised to purchase the Console software because it would allow us to shade the cameras. However, our experience has been that Console does not allow our camera operators to zoom and focus. Are we missing something? Is there a way that we can adjust white balance, etc while our camera operators still have control over zoom and focus?
Douglas Nottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Douglas, welcome to DV Info Net.

I can confirm that manual zoom and focus control is indeed retained at the camera even while it is powered into Ext. Cont. mode and connected to a PC running Console. So yes, your camera operators will be able to control zoom and focus while other settings such as White Balance, etc. are managed remotely via Console elsewhere. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Tourist

Chris - Thanks for your response. A little more explanation... We are using the ZR-1000 Remote to zoom and focus. We would prefer not to have our camera operators having to reach around the camera to focus of zoom. We were looking (hoping) to maintain control zoom/focus with the ZR-1000... Is that possible?

-- doug
Douglas Nottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Douglas, well apparently it is not possible, as I have just discovered myself. Like you, I am unable to get any response from a remote lens controller via the LANC jack while the camcorder is powered in Ext. Cont. mode and connected to a PC running Console. Which is a shame, because the "right way" to operate the camera is without touching it, using a remote lens controller as you have correctly pointed out. I have to wonder out loud why this situation exists... during Ext. Cont. mode, zoom and focus works at the camera but not over LANC, which does not seem to make much sense to me.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders