Problem With 20x at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 18th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problem With 20x

The zoom and focus rings on my 20x Stock HD lens seem to have something wrong with them. The focus ring is making a sound like it is rubbing against the lens itself, unless I apply a very very slight pressure backwards. The zoom lens seems to be giving me inconsistent resistance when i turn it. I have not noticed this until now, and couldn't find an immediate reason for these problems, it is kept clear of debris when in storage and hasn't been exposed to any in a very long time, and for the time it was, it was brief. It was cleaned, and has been routinely cleaned. This is not something that would go unnoticed for an extended period of time it is very noticeable. Is my only option to send it in to Canon?

P.S.-What exactly are they doing to the camera?
Benjamin Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ben

I think mine does the same its nothing to be worried about, I would suggest that you use the rocker for zooming or a lanc controller they are very smooth

As for the focus ring as long as you are able to get sharp images don't worry
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Benjamin,

Does it feel gritty. Or as you rack focus/zoom it feels like you are dragging metal on metal?
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Daniel, yes the zoom feels a bit gritty, inconsistently though. The focus feels like plastic rubbing on itself, if you take two cd's and rub the tops together, they will produce a sound very similar. As I said before too, if there is a very slight pressure pulling the focus ring back towards the body of the camera, it does not make that sound, and is smooth. I'm a bit confused because this has kind of come out of the blue, just started sounding and feeling off one day while I was shooting interviews.
Benjamin Richardson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders